New model fiesta ST? Worth it?

Soldato
Hi all, don't post here all that often, especially considering I'm an auto electrician, but just after some advice!

I've been eyeing up the Fiesta ST, specifically the new 3cyl 1.5ltr. But I'm waiting until I've completed my HNC to purchase one as a pat on theback to myself.

Is it worth waiting for the new model to drop slightly in 12 months (used) or should I just go ahead with a 4 cylinder.

I can stretch to around 14k but don't want to spend much more. However I'd really like the new model as I prefer the look.

Can I expect them to drop to around my budget or will I be waiting a while?

Cheers for any advice. Always been wary of 1ltr 3cyl but I'm confident the tech has improved with these new models.

Soldato
OP
The new model is a big step up from the previous mk7 in terms of the interior. I sat in one the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. Personally I don't think it's worth the new list price though. Certainly in a year or two I'd say they would be a worthwhile purchase.

You can pick up a very nice mk7 for not much over 10k now. You could run one of those for a couple of years and not lose much. Make the jump to the mk8 once someone else has swallowed the bulk of the depreciation.

It definitely is, the Mk7 interior just reminds me of my dad's 51 plate focus zetec, bland considering the badge!

I'm hoping my current golf can get past it's MOT so I can continue waiting, but the list price of the new (especially with the performance pack) ST is headache inducing.

Plus the new Blue looks a lot better than the old purple/blue combo of the Mk7.

Soldato
OP
My brother in law recently traded in his mk7 for the newer mk8, but finds it much nicer to drive and mentioned that the inclusion of the diff really helps when "pushing on".

Problem is if I went mk8, I'd want the performance pack with the LSD included. Which pushes the price up.

I don't plan on track days or modding to be honest, I just want a fun car that will put a smile on my face on my commute, and fun trips away.

The sync 3 system is a big seller for me to be honest, with a large info screen. Plus I actually like the exterior more on the mk8.

I definitely need to think it through. I'd definitely be happy with either, as I'm currently driving a naturally aspirated 1.4.

Anyone with an ST notice a massive increase in running costs? It's something I'd expect to increase but I'd like a general idea.

Soldato
OP
If were talking about mk7 Fiesta ST or even budget of 14k, you thought about considering even the Focus ST? You could get the bigger brother for that price range or other hot-hatches around that budget.

When looking at the Focus, I keep looking at the 1.5 Turbo Zetec S, rather than the ST. to reduce the cost. But I like the idea of a hot hatch to be honest. I used to have a Corsa, and I really enjoyed driving it, it was more fun than my current golf (I think because of the small form factor and wheel placement).

Soldato
OP

Too small for me, I'd be downgrading enough from Golf for Fiesta without having to drive a portable matchbox!

Ford always seems the more reasonable price, I'd like the Polo GTI but from watching reviews and such, the fiesta seems more of an enthusiast car.

Back
Top Bottom