New Motherboard for AMD R9

Associate
This is for a video editing PC & general work apps (no games)

I had a discussion a few weeks back ... looking at Motherboard options.
It was advised I wait until AMD released the R9 9xxx details, so I did.
Then pair a processor with ASRock B650E Taichi Lite

These CPUs' were out last week ... assuming I went for R9 9000
Is the Taichi LIte the optimum choice ? at around £290 ..... assuming I don't want to pay more, would it be better to look at a x670 chipset board ?
The ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI i is around £278

If there is a better x670 board to consider happy to do so.

Sort of assuming x870 boards are going to be much higher priced (when available)

Last edited:
If you want USB4, the Taichi is the cheapest AM5 board I'm aware of.

An X670E board like the TUF X670E-Plus (£250) would give you PCI-E 5.0 graphics and 4x M.2 slots (most B650E boards only have 3).

An X670 board like Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite (£220) only has PCI-E 4.0 graphics, but it has 4x M.2 slots.

I don’t need 4 x M.2 slots (at least can’t think of a reason)
USB4 is I think something I may have use for in future … eg fast connection to a NAS.

If I understand correctly some motherboard allow a header card to be added to provide USB4 … or add something like a Thunderbolt 4 card.
I can live without USB4 initially.

If I understand correctly some motherboard allow a header card to be added to provide USB4 … or add something like a Thunderbolt 4 card.
I can live without USB4 initially.
They do, yeah, but the cards are expensive, like £100.

Ahh OK didn’t know they were that expensive, but it does give me option if I want it.
I’m assuming x870 motherboards which have USB4 as standard aren’t mainstream yet.

Last edited:
If you want USB4, the Taichi is the cheapest AM5 board I'm aware of.

An X670E board like the TUF X670E-Plus (£250) would give you PCI-E 5.0 graphics and 4x M.2 slots (most B650E boards only have 3).

An X670 board like Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite (£220) only has PCI-E 4.0 graphics, but it has 4x M.2 slots.
It several reviews it has the ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI Coming out on top of the X680 Aouus Elite … I have no personal knowledge of either.

It several reviews it has the ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI Coming out on top of the X680 Aouus Elite … I have no personal knowledge of either.
In HUB's VRM testing the X670 Aorus Elite AX was near the best, the X670E-Pro was near the bottom:

It doesn't really matter though, any of these boards should be fine. The X670E-Pro does have PCI-E 5.0 graphics, so that's one of the reasons it costs more.

Back
Top Bottom