New Motherboard - should I reinstall Windows XP

Associate
I'm going to be exchanging the motherboard in my sig for an ASUS A8V deluxe, all the other components will be the same, obviously it's a different Chipset (going from Nforce3 to the VIA K8T800 Pro) so I'm wondering if I should take the trouble to format the HD and reinstall Windows or just do a repair install, I've read on the net that doing a repair install means you don't then have to reinstall all your apps, but as I'm mainly doing this to improve performance I'd like to know if it could be affected.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks, I think I'll do that, it would probably be too irritating to be wondering whether or not I was losing fps etc because of it.

Associate
decimator said:
I'm going to be exchanging the motherboard in my sig for an ASUS A8V deluxe, all the other components will be the same, obviously it's a different Chipset (going from Nforce3 to the VIA K8T800 Pro) so I'm wondering if I should take the trouble to format the HD and reinstall Windows or just do a repair install, I've read on the net that doing a repair install means you don't then have to reinstall all your apps, but as I'm mainly doing this to improve performance I'd like to know if it could be affected.

YES!

The hdd will have an OS installed with registry setting for the other mobo and either won't work at all or will be awful and force you to re-format.

Transfer your data and re-format and install properly.

Any other piece of hardware you could probably get away with it by using driver cleaner but not with a MOBO!

Associate
OP
OK, you've convinced me, Monstermunch, I think I might get a copy of Norton Ghost and ghost the C: drive for the original motherboard in case I decide to revert back to it.

Associate
Whilst often it will go smoothly ( windows OUGHT to handle it fine ) it's best to re-install. Doing so eliminates any old driver calls causing problem which could happen.

Soldato
Best thing to do is create a backup image of your current HD.

Then, swap mobo's and see if Windows handles it and the performance is spot on.

If it doesn't, then you can reformat.

Associate
what about if you change the cpu? I did this and windows seems to be ok but in the event log it says there have been bsod (havent seen any).

Soldato
I did an upgrade last weekend and used Ghost9, did a clean install and restored selected files. That way I made sure that everything had been backed up .

Back
Top Bottom