New Motor

Soldato
Hi guys,

As some of you know I have been looking for a replacement for the Type R for a while now. Well, I've finally settled on this;

2008 Mazda 3 MPS Aero

Got a little money off and 6 months tax included in the price. Seemed excellent mechanically, has only had 1 owner, all Mazda service history and has 11 months MOT. HPI clear and has only 36k miles. I'll be picking it up some time this week :)

What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks. That's what I thought. They are more prone to problems, but I checked the engine carefully before buying. I like the fact that it looks so inconspicuous compared to the new one or any other hot hatch. Suits me more than the Civic.

I'm not keen on the smaller mirrors though, they're a bit weird... I'll see how I get on with them.

I really like these and had a test drive in one a year or so ago, the thirst problem put me off in the end.

I love how like you say quite inconspicuous and not your see one every 5 minutes type. The Bose systems sound lovely as well.

Thirst doesn't bother me as I don't do many miles. Not had a chance to test out the Bose system yet, but I have high hopes.

Really like these, they seem to be the ultimate sleeper.

Sadly can't see myself affording one anytime soon. Have fun destroying a wide variety of unsuspecting german execs lol :D

I plan to ;)

Is this Mazdas alternative to the Focus ST? If so why is it a 2.3 Ford engine and not the 2.5 in the ST? Where has the engine come from?

I believe the 2.3 was actually a collaboration between Ford and Mazda. The 2.5 in the Ford is a Volvo engine.

Nice motor. Has it got cruise?

I was tempted by the MPS before I bought my 2.0 Sport, but my GF has to drive it and she's only had a licence a year. I feared going from a 1.4 Fiesta to a 260BHP FWD car would only end badly!

I've driven a new shape 3 on a track and I have say I was rather underwhelmed. I just couldn't seem to drive it smooth and fast through the corners at Croft - it had chronic understeer and just didn't feel planted. I couldn't get any confidence up with it. Now it could be my poor technique but I had no such problems throwing an Astra VXR round there and that's not exactly renowned for its handling.

Yeah, its got cruise. I know it's not the best handling hatch, but it is never seeing a track, so it doesn't matter too much.

possibly, but more so have the lube ready come road tax renewal day :D

Any mod plans?

I'm not sure yet. Need to get used to the car as is. I might do the simple intake/exhaust/remap as they react very well to that, but to be honest the power it has now will keep me happy for a while, and even though the engines are capable of big power, it's still only FWD. So surely it would just make it less and less usable. Apparently they're a handful in the wet already.

So over a year later and I've fitted a full intake system to the car, given it a full service and stuck it on the rollers. Proper chuffed :)

4xp1Mmi.jpg

Last edited:
I think the shock absorbers are very poor quality. They don't help. But they are renowned for chewing through anti roll bar bushes and drop links, so could be that also.

Yeah the tax doesn't bother me too much, but obviously it's frustrating.

The ARB bushes can look completely fine, but when replaced knocking noises go away. Just advice that I've picked up from the MPS OC.

In other news, I drove a Clio 172 the other day and it was a riot. It has kind of made me want a 182 now. 5 'speed box puts me off a little though.

Car Update!

So since my last update I've made a few modifications.

I've installed:

- Higher quality bypass valve
- Stronger engine mounts
- Short shifter
- Custom mid pipe
- Remap
- Bilstein B8 shock absorbers

I went back to the rollers after the remap and made 292bhp and 310ft/lbs (red: pre-map green: post-map):

kxPW1bL.jpg

I'm now currently at the limits of the stock HPFP. I'm deciding whether I want to upgrade it and chase more power or just leave it as is. The car is hilarious already and I'm not really sure if needs any more power, but I could see close to 305bhp and 330ft/lbs with it.

Last edited:
I am tuning using a Cobb Accesport. A guy called Justin is writing the map via an e-tune. He's brilliant. Never take an MPS to a generic mapper, they just cannot get the same results.

I'd love to get mine on a drag strip, but there aren't any near me.

Chain rattle hasn't appeared to have reared its ugly head. Yet.

again for anyone reading thats an absolute joke, you can get the entire VVT/Timing kit from the states delivered to your door for around £300.

No wonder people think if the car needs it done then its time to scrap it. If only they read up first :(

This is the way I will be doing it when it is time.

Back
Top Bottom