• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Nvidia card: Codename "GF100"

Soldato
Well, since the nvidia GPU technology conference starts today we can expect to start seeing some more details about nvidia's new card. So I thought a new thread would be in order.

To get the ball rolling, Beyond3D has "leaked" some information:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/-rumour-nvidia-gt300-architecture-details-revealed/7763.html?doc=7763

The GPU appears to consist of over 3.2 Billion transistors (!), and is operating on a 384bit memory interface. It's hard to deduce what performance this will bring, as it's supposedly a completely new architecture, but GDDR5 on a 384bit memory interface would certainly give a nice bump in bandwidth from the previous generation, and even of around 50% over the 5870.

The GPUs codename is "GF100" which seems a little odd to me, but then when have product codenames ever really made sense?

Looks like this is all the 'hard' detail on the card at the moment, but please add more as and when it becomes available :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's entirely possible the high end part will be 50% faster than 5870 given the specs we've seen so far - 384 bit GDDR5 plus double the number of stream processors.

If it does beat the 5870 by that kind of margin then the bad news for people waiting for it is it will be priced at around £400-£500

Soldato
yea it wont be cheap and it wont drop in price by next may either, because the GTX 295 hasn't dropped much either.

that card is already up and running... they're just playing a waiting game, my guess is they're waiting to see how well the 5870 X2 performs.... they'll probably release this new card in NOV/DEC..

from the hype i've read it'll be twice as powerful as the 200 series, but which version i dont know... i hope it's the 295 and if they also release an X2 version of this card, then FLIPPING HECK LOL

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
that card is already up and running... they're just playing a waiting game, my guess is they're waiting to see how well the 5870 X2 performs.... they'll probably release this new card in NOV/DEC

No reason that nvidia would "play the waiting game" right now - their biggest competitor has a new product on the shelves, and nvidia are losing sales to them.

There will always be a lag-time between having first engineering samples available for analysis and demo-ing, and having volume production of GPUs that can be passed to partners. There is also a further lag time while the partners build and distribute the cards. Anyway, I imagine they're working as fast as they damn well can to get these products on the shelves.

On an unrelated note, guys on the beyond3D forums have been picking apart that blurry diagram, and seem to think the card will have 512 shader pipes. Which would be double the previous generation. This isn't a big surprise, given that the number of transistors is more than doubled from GT200.

Associate
well I', kinda waiting to see what happens 5870 x2 or the new whatever they call it NV
card. off subject, but is there news of the 5870x2 coming out, it may give an indication
when we will start seeing 'leeked' benchmarks of the nv card.

Soldato
OP
Where are people getting this £500 number from?

I should point out: Nowhere has any pricing been indicated. At this stage the price of the cards is nothing more than guesswork. But given the state of the market right now, a £500 pricetag would be very unlikely.

Associate
If they make it, people will buy it. It's all about those people at the top that want all of their games to run 60fps+, regardless of settings.

Oh yeah, and those people that have computers purely for synthetic benchmarks and performance charts. Guarantee there will be a few people at the top of the charts suddenly using SLI'd new cards.

If they bring it out, and it beats the 5890X2 (when thats released) then AMD will have to bring something else out, and that will lower the price of existing cards. Have you noticed that the top range cards have always been appearing at around the £400 mark?

D13

D13

Associate
It is more important the g300 series scales down to where it matters as the lower end where the money is.

this si very true, for me I imagine the top end single gpu will be just too costly. I am hoping that the gtx360 card will offer strong performance whilst not being too harsh on the wallet.

Soldato
OP
It is more important the g300 series scales down to where it matters as the lower end where the money is.

That's still true, but less so than with previous generations.

The GPGPU market is growing at an incredible rate, and will always be interested in the highest-end hardware. The markup for HPC-branded cards over equivalent gaming cards is also huge, meaning that profit margins are sky-high. Nvidia would need to sell a hell of a lot of mid-range GPUs to match the income from a single HPC-branded product.

Associate
i dont have big hope for the Nvidia card.

I agree its probaly gonna be more powerful than the 5870 but i cant see it being that much more powerful but i can also see it being about £150 more

Back
Top Bottom