New PC - £1k budget

Associate
Heya,

I'm just after something from the OC shop that's ready made and I haven't bought a PC for about 6 years. Current PC is i5 2500k, 12 gig of ram, and a GTX 760. I'm going to format this and use it as my secondary gaming PC as to be honest it still runs most things on medium/low even if they're new.

So, what rig do you recommend just off the shelf at the moment? I hear some processors are dropping on the market soon are they deflating the old processor prices yet?

Also in respect to OS - do I have to have Win10 or can I have Win7? I REALLY hate the way MS are ramming that POS down our throats so I'd rather avoid it if at all possible :) I would prefer NVIDIA graphics too.

As always kisses and hugs for the help.

Soldato
Heya,

I'm just after something from the OC shop that's ready made and I haven't bought a PC for about 6 years. Current PC is i5 2500k, 12 gig of ram, and a GTX 760. I'm going to format this and use it as my secondary gaming PC as to be honest it still runs most things on medium/low even if they're new.

So, what rig do you recommend just off the shelf at the moment? I hear some processors are dropping on the market soon are they deflating the old processor prices yet?

Also in respect to OS - do I have to have Win10 or can I have Win7? I REALLY hate the way MS are ramming that POS down our throats so I'd rather avoid it if at all possible :) I would prefer NVIDIA graphics too.

sound like you could go i7 2700K option and overclock along with a GTX 1060 GB to save some cash and avoid win10

Permabanned
Hey,

You can't avoid Windows 10. Windows 7 is already quite old and its future says that soon all support towards it by Microsoft will stop.
What's not to like in Windows 10 to ask you?

So, I have a very nice new system ready for you - with state-of-the-art 6-core/12-thread processor*, good graphics card, plenty of RAM, plenty and very fast storage, and a surprise - in a little over the 1000 money mark, I successfully added a modern 4K monitor. Just take a glimpse and hope you will like it.
*some of these CPU are shipping as 8-core/16-thread fully enabled.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,108.47
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Soldato
Hey,

You can't avoid Windows 10. Windows 7 is already quite old and its future says that soon all support towards it by Microsoft will stop.
What's not to like in Windows 10 to ask you?

So, I have a very nice new system ready for you - with state-of-the-art 6-core/12-thread processor*, good graphics card, plenty of RAM, plenty and very fast storage, and a surprise - in a little over the 1000 money mark, I successfully added a modern 4K monitor. Just take a glimpse and hope you will like it.
*some of these CPU are shipping as 8-core/16-thread fully enabled.

Total: £1,108.47

You serious with that spec :confused: Great idea to spend more on the SSD than the GPU. Also how well do you think an RX 560 will cope with a 4K Monitor if the op wants to game on it ? Awful case and power supply. Oh and you are £100 over the budget.

Soldato
Heya,

Hi

What is this pc going to be used for ?

You need a monitor as well ?

As for Win 7 it is possible to install it but it is a pain. The problem is that there is no USB support when installing W7 so you either have to use an old style PS/2 keyboard and mouse or hope that a USB 2.0 port will work. I tried to install W7 recently on a Ryzen R3 1200 build that I did for my Niece and didn't have any luck. Ended up putting W10 on it for now.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Permabanned
You serious with that spec :confused: Great idea to spend more on the SSD than the GPU. Also how well do you think an RX 560 will cope with a 4K Monitor if the op wants to game on it ? Awful case and power supply. Oh and you are £100 over the budget.

The 4K monitor is state-of-the-art and will serve him millions miles beyond gaming. When gaming, for 1000 money, it's impossible to get decent framerates at everything maxed out. Forget about maxed out settings.
When in the near future he can afford more spending, he can upgrade the graphics card. It's easy and painless.

The case and power supply are perfect. Much better than Ryzen 3 with 4 core and super expensive other material. Doesn't make much of a sense.

With the super fast M.2 SSD, he will feel the system as a truely beast of a perfomer!

My philosophy is to ALWAYS get the maximum BASE performance for the budget, with the lowest possible cost for the peripherals which don't influence the performance.

Soldato
The 4K monitor is state-of-the-art and will serve him millions miles beyond gaming. When gaming, for 1000 money, it's impossible to get decent framerates at everything maxed out. Forget about maxed out settings.
When in the near future he can afford more spending, he can upgrade the graphics card. It's easy and painless.

The case and power supply are perfect. Much better than Ryzen 3 with 4 core and super expensive other material. Doesn't make much of a sense.

With the super fast M.2 SSD, he will feel the system as a truely beast of a perfomer!

My philosophy is to ALWAYS get the maximum BASE performance for the budget, with the lowest possible cost for the peripherals which don't influence the performance.

If you seriously think that is a good system then you need to give up.

Permabanned
If you seriously think that is a good system then you need to give up.

I have used much worse systems than that and survived. Once again - could you tell seriously what your objections about the performance of the system are?
Will it be slow? No!

The XFX power supply is in warranty. What's the matter with you?

Soldato
That spec suggestion is absolutely terrible, seemingly by someone with no real know-how or nous in picking the right parts for the job. There's just no sense or logic to it. The pricing ratios are all way off, the priorities are all wrong. The GPU is terrible and somehow there's a 4k monitor paired up with it despite the fact that the GPU can barely do 1080p. The monitor doesn't even go beyond 60hz nor does it support freesync/gsync. It's a basic TN panel, bottom of the barrel when it comes to screen quality. There is literally nothing 'state of the art' about it.

I strongly urge the OP to ignore it.

Associate
I have used much worse systems than that and survived. Once again - could you tell seriously what your objections about the performance of the system are?
Will it be slow? No!

For a £1000 gaming machine to have an RX 560 it seems like craziness.

Soldato
Will it be slow? No!

The XFX power supply is in warranty. What's the matter with you?

So because you have used systems that are worse you think it is fine to suggest an equally awful spec for some one ? The op has a £1000 budget and that is what you come up with ?

An RX 560 will not cope with a 4K monitor if he wants to game on it. That gpu is a low end entry level card designed for 720p/1080p. At 4K it will be crippled.

The NVMe SSD is totally unnecessary. They are very good in the correct situation but if it affects the rest of the build then it is a luxury. A Samsung 850 EVO would suffice.

The XFX XT is the lowest quality of all the XFX units. It isn't something I would put in a £1000 system.

Permabanned
That spec suggestion is absolutely terrible, seemingly by someone with no real know-how or nous in picking the right parts for the job. There's just no sense or logic to it. The pricing ratios are all way off, the priorities are all wrong. The GPU is terrible and somehow there's a 4k monitor paired up with it despite the fact that the GPU can barely do 1080p. The monitor doesn't even go beyond 60hz nor does it support freesync/gsync. It's a basic TN panel, bottom of the barrel when it comes to screen quality. There is literally nothing 'state of the art' about it.

I strongly urge the OP to ignore it.

For a £1000 gaming machine to have an RX 560 it seems like craziness.

The OP never said he wanted a gaming machine. The RX 560 is intended only to run the system. I'm sure that games like Counter_Strike and StarCarft 2 will run at 4K on that system.
I think your reality and requirements about what is sufficent for 4K...
He will not game Crysis 3 on it.

Soldato
@thundyuk

sorry, didnt read fully old system would be kept :)- still worth bump to i7 version though :D

I didnt quote screen- also windows 10- unfortunately but its worth it- now does set you over- there are ways to get it cheaper... but im not going to list- and way to bring in budget changing Storage
PSU slightly large for the future upgrades

Total: £1,046.40

to be honest you can tweak it for Ryzen 1600 or even squeezing GTX 1070 - hope thats a nice base list to build on

also- two pre-built system's thats your asked around your budget- worth comparing building your self to buying
  • 1 x Titan Katana Overclocked Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1600 @ 3.80GHz = £1,064.99
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Midi Tower Case - Noise Dampened Black/Red
    • Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A24
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010 Previously ST1000DM003)
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Case Support**:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Lighting (Phanteks RGB must use Phanteks case):Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Quad Core 1400 3.40GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics card:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • 1 x Titan Merlin Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.70GHz = £1,034.02
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010 Previously ST1000DM003)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:Unwanted
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (TDPRD416G30
    • Case:Raijintek Styx Classic - Red Micro ATX Case
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics card:Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 580 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Total: £2,122.10
(includes shipping: £23.10)

sorry - last system i selected ryzen 1600 for £40 more but didnt pull through

Last edited:
Permabanned
I gave a proposal for a lower latency memory DDR4 CAS 15. Why do you keep not appreciating it?

It's uber craziness to spend 100 for the Windows 10 alone! There are ways to get it for much lower cost.

That 500GB SSD will not be enough as a storage.

Soldato
The OP never said he wanted a gaming machine. The RX 560 is intended only to run the system. I'm sure that games like Counter_Strike and StarCarft 2 will run at 4K on that system.
I think your reality and requirements about what is sufficent for 4K...
He will not game Crysis 3 on it.

And if he does want a gaming machine he is screwed.

Soldato
If he wants it, he will buy a new graphics card later.
And if the PSU is that bad, just change it, don't argue here with me about it.

So spend more money to correct your shortcomings ? Yep sounds like a plan.

The other option would be to spend the £1000 on a balanced system so as to avoid wasting any more money.

Associate
If the OP is primarily looking for a gaming rig and can wait a week or 2 it looks like worth waiting for Coffee lake prebuilts.
the i5 8400 is looking like the new sweet spot for price/performance for gaming. (I reserve the right to change this opinion as and when more reviews become available :p )

Soldato
If the OP is primarily looking for a gaming rig and can wait a week or 2 it looks like worth waiting for Coffee lake prebuilts.
the i5 8400 is looking like the new sweet spot for price/performance for gaming. (I reserve the right to change this opinion as and when more reviews become available :p )

in theory they should be a good deal- as with all intel chips- demand will soar up the prices of the part themselves and OCUK can make the pre-builds look good, although OCUK will bin most of them for selling separately as to oppose of selling a standard i7 k

Back
Top Bottom