New PC - £1k budget

Associate
Hi all - I last built a pc AGES ago and can barely remember how - it's core2duo one which is on its last legs now and due to kids etc wasn't really used for a while.

Anyway I'm looking to build a new one - budget around about £1k. I will prob be able to reuse the power supply (a 60w good quality one) and the case. Beyond that it's all new. I'd appreciate people suggesting what cables etc I might need too.

Budget is around £1000 - I'd spring a bit more for cpu or maybe gfx if people thought it would make a difference. Do I need 32gb ram these days?

I'd also appreciate a heads up on anything coming out soon which i might want to hang on for.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks so much for that - my case was the Akasa Eclipse-62 Midi Tower Case from back in the day - what do people think?

Power was 500w Seasonic S12-500 SLi aPFC PSU - but if you reckon I should it could go.

It’s not for playing everything maxed out but it would be nice to have some longevity built in! I like strat games mainly and some FPS.

thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks all so the add processors are best currently? Also are there any issues with processors working with motherboards ie will the 5800x work out of the box with no bios changes needed? (I don’t want to do this - I seem to recall biosflashes being a ‘mare - although this may have changed!)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
On GFX what do people think? I will be forced to use my work monitors as I'm wfh etc and will use the same workstation. They're 1600x 1200 - what do you reckon?

Ta!

Associate
OP
Ok looking at prices and availability what do people think of 3900x processor and 5700xt gfx. With 32gb 3600 ram MSi board at £160 ish 2tb seagate hd this comes out to £1,100 ish?

thoughts? Looks like new gfx cards will be eye wateringly expensive and won’t fit in a build of around £1k. Cpu thoughts are it’s not that different in performance to 5800x and has more cores.

what do you think?

thanks!

Associate
OP
Thanks for that - I'm currently going to be using my old gfx card just so I can get it going but will definitely want the opportunity to use the new ones once you can actually get hold of them (and at a better price hopefully) - an ATI Radeon HD 5850 which is pretty ancient

Back
Top Bottom