New PC build

Associate
Hello all,

I have recently decided to upgrade my PC and as someone who is fairly novice I would like to please ask your advice.

My budget is flexible.

1) I'd settled on picking up a 7800x3d, though have noticed that th 7900x3d is now the same price range. Is it worth picking it up? I create Youtube videos from Outplayed (game recordings) and want to stitch them together with an outro, which may increase in complexity over time.

2) Build is as follows so far:

ASUS 4070 Super Dual OC
7800x3d / 7900x3d
32GB Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
Samsung 990 PRO
Corsair RMX Shift PSU (Wattage to be determined)

Case to be decided - (E-ATX due to very large hands!)

3) Which motherboard (ASUS) should I choose? Is it worth picking up an X670 vs a B650?

Man of Honour
3) Which motherboard (ASUS) should I choose? Is it worth picking up an X670 vs a B650?
What features do you want/need from the board: in regards to PCI-E 5.0 or PCI-E 4.0, how many M.2 slots do you want, the speed and number of USB ports, number of sound jacks and presence of SPDIF, that kind of stuff?

Note that your case has to be compatible with the SHIFT because of the side-mounted cables.

1) I'd settled on picking up a 7800x3d, though have noticed that th 7900x3d is now the same price range. Is it worth picking it up? I create Youtube videos from Outplayed (game recordings) and want to stitch them together with an outro, which may increase in complexity over time.
I think you'll get a fair few differing opinions here. The 7800X3D is consistently faster in games *, but personally? At the same price, I'd take the 12 cores and accept the performance loss.

Associate
Hello all,

I have recently decided to upgrade my PC and as someone who is fairly novice I would like to please ask your advice.

My budget is flexible.

2) Build is as follows so far:

ASUS 4070 Super Dual OC
7800x3d / 7900x3d
32GB Kingston FURY Beast DDR5
Samsung 990 PRO

x670 boards are expensive..i ended up gettong the b650e-e.. has pcie5 for gpu and m.2 for futureproffing, and can take 4m.2, though if you populate one of them the pcie5 will drop to pcie4 for the gpy as it shares lanes..also has a led debug display which will spout out the codes for when there's a problem.. I've seen for £249 away at mo...if you don't want the code display, the b650e-f I've seen at £215 at the mo (forget ocuk here, they're £297 and £265 respectively atm).....if you don't care about pcie5 then the asus B650 tuf gaming wifi for £169(not here again)(the non e b650 boards don't have pcie5, though some do...was a bit of a mess really so you have to delve into specs a bit)...but for asus, they don't..the sound codec is a bit older than the strix mobo's also. I couldn't justify the x670 boards...the x670 chipset is just 2 b650 chipsets, so it just distributes a few more lanes here and there but connectivity is plentiful for me with the b650e boards
at the end of sep the X870e and x870 boards are coming out...they're basically X670E boards for the x870E and the x870 boards are basically b650e boards...they'll have pcie5 as standard and the x870e with have usb4 as standard
I's think about gettinbg 2tb of storage for m.2...the wd sn850x is fast with good endurance and on offer at £125 at mo
Prob with the 7950X3d is that half the cores have x3d, half dont...that's great but sometimes the scheduling gets messed a little and the cpu ends up using the non x3d cores while gaming , so some games you don't get the performance expected
the 7800x3d was £320 just over a week ago and the price has shot up...I don't know if this is because it mght make some of the new cpu's more attractive, or make the 7950x3d more attractive, but the new cpu's launch on 31st July, so 10 days from now...wait for some reviews as the speed increase suggest the cpu's may be quite close the x3d in performance while being much better at non gaming task, which may suit you better...at the minimum it should drop the 7000 series cpu's back down a bit...where I live the 7800x3d is still arouns £320

Back
Top Bottom