New PC Build

Hi how's it going?

I posted earlier this year about putting a new pc build together (New PC Build) (not sure if I should have bumped or posted a new thread so please reply on either) and going to put the order in this week.
So just checking this build is still the one to go for? Also noticed the Crucial P5 SSD is no longer available so a good replacement option would be great..

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,465.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Thanks!

T500 is the most obvious replacement, but any higher-end PCI-E 4.0 DRAM-equipped drive would do, like SN850X or KC3000.

No, 14th gen CPUs are not generally recommended anymore due to the issues they've had. K CPUs do now have an extended warranty (5 year), so you can take your chances if you want to, but I'd recommend reposting your usage, requirements and budget do a complete re-spec.
Okay Tetras thanks will do. What were the issues with 14th gen?

From what I'm aware, there are several different problems:

1. CPUs degrading over time and getting more and more unstable (e.g. can't install drivers, can't run certain games, random crashes, PCIE and memory instability).
2. CPUs not operating properly out of the box and crashing in intensive workloads like Cinebench if they weren't underclocked, power limited and/or overvolted.
3. CPUs that suffered a manufacturing fault (this is supposed to be only early 13th gen), which could show symptoms like the above.

The prevalence/causes of these issues are still not clear and Intel have given out a lot of conflicting information to tech news, so we can't say if the BIOS "fixes" will resolve these problems or not. If I was buying a new PC I'd just avoid them, since even though Intel do have good productivity performance, with AMD 7000 and 9000 series CPUs you have plenty of options that don't require buying a CPU with a question mark over it for the short or longer-term.
Okay thanks

Back
Top Bottom