Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass Mid Tower Case - Gun Metal
Aerocool Project 7 P850 850W 80 Plus Platinum RGB Modular Power Supply
Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Seagate 3TB BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive
NZXT Kraken X52 AIO Water Cooling Unit - 240mm
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit

The issues i am having - When trying to play the witcher 3 the PC keeps crashing and then restarting without a BSOD its as if someone has just pulled the plug, the power supply fan has not so far span at all and does not spin even on startup, although im not sure whether it should. This issue has occured when playing the Witcher 3 and war thunder and it does it within a couple of minutes of being in game, The wierd thing is i was playing Far cry 5 and Assasins Creed origins for around 5 hours before moving to the witcher 3 and the pc was fine. I have also played Far Cry 5 and fortnite for the past few days and haven't had this issue at all.

the most my cpu temps get to are around 55c and my gpu only gets to around 71c.

anyone have any ideas why this would be happening, is it a faulty psu?

Thank you

Associate
as you have had it build by overclockers themselves your first port off call should be them, what sort of temps is cpu and gpu running at when not gaming, have you overclock in any way or was it a pre done overclock ?

Associate
OP
as you have had it build by overclockers themselves your first port off call should be them, what sort of temps is cpu and gpu running at when not gaming, have you overclock in any way or was it a pre done overclock ?
I will make sure to give them a call tomorrow. CPU idles at around 30-40c depending on room temp and GPU 30-45. No overclock done although Intel Turbo Boost is on as default for the cpu. No pre overclock either.

Associate
OP
Okay, so i decided to limit my FPS on the Witcher 3 to 30fps to make sure the PC wouldn't draw much power, then increased to a limit of 60fps and then went to unlimited again which fluctuates from 80-140fps yet this time no crash have been playing for around 10minutes.

Associate
OP
Yeah i think its defiantly the PSU getting to hot i left the Witcher 3 running and it seems to have crashed my PC again, GPU temps got to around 76 and cpu temps got to around 50-55 it seems the fan is not kicking in when its supposed to, to keep the PSU cool... well i would assume.

Associate
Yeah i think its defiantly the PSU getting to hot i left the Witcher 3 running and it seems to have crashed my PC again, GPU temps got to around 76 and cpu temps got to around 50-55 it seems the fan is not kicking in when its supposed to, to keep the PSU cool... well i would assume.

it could be then on other hand it might not, im not sure how the aerocool psu's rate compared to the other, if turns out to be that might be worth asking if you can switch to another recommended psu, make a video to send into them also

Associate
OP
What is interesting is when playing the Witcher 3 the power % in msi afterburner reaches 100% and its usually at that point the pc shuts itself down. So either the card is pulling too much power... or not enough or the PSU is not supplying enough, will make sure to call OC first thing.

Associate
What is interesting is when playing the Witcher 3 the power % in msi afterburner reaches 100% and its usually at that point the pc shuts itself down. So either the card is pulling too much power... or not enough or the PSU is not supplying enough, will make sure to call OC first thing.
msi afterburner has been known to cause graphics cards problems, try disable afterburner too

Associate
hi (from australia),

I've been on the same 'Aerocool Project 7 P850 850W 80 Plus Platinum RGB Modular Power Supply' since December and same as you it has been powering a 1080ti (gigabyte aorus extreme edition) and I get sporadic timings but frequent 'asus anti-surge' reboots (once disabling this warning in BIOS it just reboots). (needed a new psu to go with a the new 1080ti)

Bloody ebay retailer is a computer in a different state too and they didn't bloody respond (late feb, early mar) until I did another follow up email last week after contacting the manufacturer in between too as they have offices here in the same state.

Hardly have time to play games nowadays and terrible CS from the ebay retailer hence still stuck in warranty hell.

Plenty of posts online on the topic (I initially did my search with overwatch terms since its the only thing I was playing and appears to be plenty common enough to have topics on it) and I believe this one is pretty relevant as it was a more general thread on 1080ti cards/PSUs:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ng-and-rebooting-my-pc-on-most-games-help-/2/

Anyhow I finally got around to doing HW monitor logs the and the aerocool techsupport basically said voltage is stable within variance, I was consuming 285+ watts which is less than 50% of what the PSU can output and final line of the email was '...not unstable voltage regulation but not enough power by our PSU before system stopped recording log file':

1. 25 April 11:46pm (11:13pm began logging then playing)
2. 26 April 12:12am (12:06am began logging then playing)
3. 26 April 1 14am (1:11am began logging then playing - suspended from playing competitive)

Duration
1. 33 minutes (disconnected midgame)
2. 6 minutes (disconnected midgame)
3. 3 minutes (disconnected at hero select)

though yesterday I had a disconnect few mins into arcade ffa deathmatch

Just shoot an update when you can, totally believe it's a PSU fault

Last edited:
Associate
Just a simple update

Tracked OP to reddit, where he posted on his issue and asked for a PSU recommendation

Posted a reply and quick link back to this topic where he mentioned his issue is solved with a new different PSU (unsure which model but from a different brand of course) and his friend also had the same issues with the 850W and a gigabyte 1080ti

Ended up buying a Seasonic ultra prime 650w titanium (12yr warranty) and no issues after 3-4hrs plus of gaming

Going to attempt a refund/return on the Aerocool

Back
Top Bottom