New printer time, wireless printing?

Associate
I am looking at the OC Canon ip5200R or the ip5200 (without wireless) and a wireless print server. My question is can I use the print server for other USB devices such as a scanner card reader etc? Or are they purely for printers?

Soldato
Usually unless it's a built in print server it'll only do the printing side - there's too many combinations of things the printer can do to allow it to send all the info back to the attached pcs. So, not that useful for MFD's.

Print servers won't do anything for your scanners et al.

Soldato
Firstly to answer the op, no, print servers are only for printers. You aren't going to find a scanner server. Network scanners in a soho price range are rare, the mainstream office level ones are expensive. As for memory card readers that use the network, the Netgear wgt634u can do this, but the reader needs to run true ata.

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Firstly to answer the op, no, print servers are only for printers. You aren't going to find a scanner server. Network scanners in a soho price range are rare, the mainstream office level ones are expensive. As for memory card readers that use the network, the Netgear wgt634u can do this, but the reader needs to run true ata.
I've got a Brother Laser Multifunction printer - the MFC-7820N. The flatbed scanner on that works over the network. Was quite surprised, as I thought they were incredibly rare and/or non existent. Works really well. The whole thing was a real bargain at little over £200.

Associate
OP
Soooo, I get the wireless canon for £130 or the non wireless for £70 and a server for 40 or 50 or just plug the non wireless into the computer like the old days!!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Soldato
eveyuk said:
Soooo, I get the wireless canon for £130 or the non wireless for £70 and a server for 40 or 50 or just plug the non wireless into the computer like the old days!!
If you want the print server capabilities, I'd be tempted to go for the built in solution. It'd be less hassle in the end - some external ones might end up irritating you.

Soldato
eveyuk said:

Thanks for the quick replies.
Both have inbuilt wired ports (the 5200r and the 5200). I have the 5200r and its good, but I recently had a problem where the prints were corrupted, and it turned out to have some problem with the ap it was connected to (possibly because it was a repeater in SuperG mode), so it might be worth just getting the 5200 and then adding an ap via the onboard lan if you want to use it wireless later on.
csmager said:
I've got a Brother Laser Multifunction printer - the MFC-7820N. The flatbed scanner on that works over the network. Was quite surprised, as I thought they were incredibly rare and/or non existent. Works really well. The whole thing was a real bargain at little over £200.
As I said they're rare, but that does look pretty good. I just use an old 2k3 sever with a scanner attached and Scan Xp, does the job fine but its not as good as an all in one.

Back
Top Bottom