New PSU to replace Corsair HX1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum - same cables

Associate
Hi all,

Whilst I'm going through the fun or putting proper networking in my house, my power supply gives loud bangs and smells of burning randomly. I've disconnected and arranged a refund.

Corsair CP-9020140-UK HX1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum​

However, now I don't have a power supply. I can't see to find the same one available. I ideally want something that uses the sames cables so it's a quick switch. Any recommendations?

I originally had an 850 W PSU which wasn't cutting it so don't want to go below 1000W.

Last edited:
Thanks mate - will do.

Any PSU you would recommend 1200 W. Powering a 4090, I bought the corsair 12VHPWR cable for my PSU so would like one that comes with the equivalent cable.

All of these are native PCI-e 5.0 but are rather pricey,

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £834.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Alternatively a 1000w psu is enough for a 4090 so have a look at these, again all native PCI-e 5.0. A couple are pre order but may be in stock elsewhere.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £873.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

As with all components, shop around for the best deal.

Please tell me you haven't been trying to start the psu with the bad psu? Hopefully your components will be ok as it was a quality psu and should have protected them but pops, bangs and burning smells is really bad so you won't know until you try the new psu. Corsair used to replace components that one of their psu's or AIO's had damaged on a case by case basis but that is complicated now as you no longer have the psu.

Last edited:
Thanks went for a 1000 w psu comes today.

Pc won’t do anything, no power. Do I need to worry about damage to components or is it unlikely?
You can pop your entire system with a bad psu.

Running a bad PSU is asking for it to go pop and destroy a PC component.

When a psu rail goes it can send a lot of voltage and amperage down the cables.

people on here replace their working psu that’s old because even good PSUs can fail given enough time and wear.

Please tell me you haven't been trying to start the psu with the bad psu? Hopefully your components will be ok as it was a quality psu and should have protected them but pops, bangs and burning smells is really bad so you won't know until you try the new psu. Corsair used to replace components that one of their psu's or AIO's had damaged on a case by case basis but that is complicated now as you no longer have the psu.
It made multiple popping sounds after PC was shut down it off and a smell of burning. At this point I disconnected and haven't used since.

I still have the PSU, I'm removing it tonight and will of course keep it should it not work. Really hoping it doesn't come to that!

Last edited:
You can pop your entire system with a bad psu.

Running a bad PSU is asking for it to go pop and destroy a PC component.

When a psu rail goes it can send a lot of voltage and amperage down the cables.

people on here replace their working psu that’s old because even good PSUs can fail given enough time and wear.
The PSU is less than 12 months old which is most disappointing.

Second it starting poping after it was turned off and I smelt burning it was disconnected and not used again.

Have to hope it's ok. So frustarting when you do buy a quality PSU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom