New Rider: Spec me some bits and bobs....

Soldato
Hello all, I've recently passed my test and now use my mate's GPZ500S as a daily and am looking for some bits and bobs to make life easier. The plan is to use the bike all year round as much as possible, so I *think* I would like:

Heated Grips - the MT-07 I took my test on had Oxford HotGrips, they were really nice. I have good gloves, but they can get chilly when wet and I do suffer with Raynaud's Syndrone, so my fingers do go numb at the drop of a hat

A Phone Holder - for using my phone as a sat-nav. I occasionally do site visits, so having a holder for my phone would be really handy. I may pr may not wire in a 12v supply, that's easy enough, but a good, sturdy and waterproof phone holder would be a great addition.

A thermometer & maybe a clock. My bike has not clock, and seeing as I have late finishes after work sometimes I thought it a good idea to have a rough idea of the outside temperature, especially if I've got rugged up inside to get on the bike, it may not *feel* as cold as it actually is. One of those 12v combo things would work, but would a permanent 12v supply drain the battery?

Luggage Straps - I have a bag rack for the rear to carry a bag with spare boots, a bag, coat, chef's whites, that sort of thing and need a few straps to secure it down - what would you recommend?

Disc Lock - for use whilst out and about. I have a big heavy chain for use at home already. What's a good disc lock? I guess they're more of a deterrent?

Sorry for all the questions lol! Cheers

Soldato
Congrats on passing - doing my DAS back in 2007 was one of the best decisions of my life, even if I've been banged up over the years on bikes!

I can only really offer input on phone holders - I personally use the Quad Lock, and (for me) it works perfectly fine; my phone is IP-whatever rated, so having it sitting in the rain has been fine, but you can get a 'waterproof' case if you like.

My holder also has a USB wired in, I opted for the official Quad Lock one - battery to SAE connection, then to a USB block that sits neatly under the holder lock. Only down sides are if you leave the SAE connected it will continue to drain the battery, and the output isn't high enough to charge a modern smartphone with all the quick charge malarkey.

Man of Honour
If you want to use the bike through all weathers and you already have issues with keeping your hands warm I'd recommend some Gerbing heated gloves over heated grips. When it gets properly cold and the wind chill is taking you well below zero heated grips become a bit like peeing in the wind because the back of your hand is still having all the heat sucked out of it along with the very ends of your fingers.

Heated gloves are mega though even when it's snowing.

Back
Top Bottom