New Rig advice

Associate
Hi All

I'm after a new PC at home for Lab / Study purposes - VMWare ESX 6.5. It needs to have a decent processor, 64Gb of memory and 1TB of NVME Storage. I don't want it to take up loads of room, and it needs to be as silent as possible. Not bothered about Graphics at this stage, as I won't be playing games but I would like the ability to add a decent GPU in the future. Way out of it knowledge wise around desktops these days but had a quick poke around on reviews etc: -

Motherboard & CPU

ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F - INTEL CORE I7-7700K CPU & MOTHERBOARD BUNDLE

Memory

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 64GB (4X16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHZ DUAL/QUAD CHANNEL KIT - BLACK (CMK64GX

Disk

960 PRO POLARIS 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 X4 NVME SOLID STATE DRIVE

I could do with some advise as to whether the above looks ok and compatible, or if you can suggest anything better. I also need to know what case, cpu cooler, and PSU you would recommend. I would also want to add a couple of 2 or 4 port network cards for the virtual switch configurations.

I am expecting it to come in around the £2k mark, but can spend a little bit more if needed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Soldato
If you want the ability to add a lot of PCIE/storgae/networking to it over time it might be worth looking at the intel X99/X299 platforms or X399 platforms on the AMD side.

You might also be able to save a few quid if you get a motherboard with 8 dimm slots, so you can get cheaper and smaller modules without sacrificing capacity then.

Man of Honour
Soldato
May also be worth considering an additional disk or 2, something tiny to boot ESXI and your other OS's off of for example, and then a big slow drive for all your ISO's and archived machines etc.

Soldato

Based off Tamzzy above but Intel , slightly more. Seems Thread Ripper is hit or miss with the program you want to use and most likely will need some tweaks to get it to work

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,100.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

But yeah, Ram kills the budget ! Before, would have been able to just overshoot your budget

Soldato
I think that a Threadripper with 64gb of RAM is achievable on budget with the 12 core or 8 core. Probably not the 1950x though.

I think the Asus and Gigabyte boards are OK wit ESXi, but a browse of the VMware forums would be advisable! Someone in the project forum here has a TR ESX thread with some great info in

Back
Top Bottom