New road bike advice

Associate
I will be buying a new road bike in the next few weeks and could use some advice please.

Budget is max £2400-£2500 but cheaper would be nice.

I'd like as light as possible, preferably Ultegra (doesn't need to be Di2).

Gearing wise I am quite keen to have a 52/36 chainring with an 11-32 cassette. This gearing suits me in the Peak District.

So far, I'm thinking about getting this:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBVIMAX406800/viner-maxima-rs-40-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike

I'd sell the supplied wheels and put these with Continental GP 4000S II's on:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...season-aero-road-wheelset-1420g-28deep-22wide

I think changing to these wheels would bring the weight close to 7kg.

Any opinions on these choices, or other suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can stomach the potential wait times - Canyon or Rose bikes.

So much value for money. Personally wouldn't touch planetX with a barge pole having had 2 frames (MTB) from them and no end of issues/crap customer service.

Mate of mine got a Canyon last week, in stock, delivered in 6 days. If your size is not in stock it can be a long wait but well worth considering.

PS - it DOES need to be Di2:p:p:p

Paying £2k plus and not having Di2 is madness:D:D

Soldato
You don't need to spend that sort of money to get a nice bike. Are you a casual rider or pro rider?

Because a £1000 bike is not much different in weight to a £2000 one. Once you factor in a pork pie.

Soldato
It's not just about weight. An extra £1000 will go a long way towards better wheels and groupset etc

Don't waste your money on electronic group sets. Spend the money on wheels or something that will be of actual benefit.

Soldato
It's not just about weight. An extra £1000 will go a long way towards better wheels and groupset etc

Don't waste your money on electronic group sets. Spend the money on wheels or something that will be of actual benefit.

You will get a full carbon 105 groupset for £1000, and that is good enough quality for 99% of people. Use stock wheels, wear them out and save up for something like Campagnolo Vento or better.

You'll just paying for slight reduction in weight over that. If you've got a gut does the extra 1 kg saving mean much? Nope. And unless you do proper races then it's pointless.

Associate
not true - my mate got his in 6 days as it was in stock and shipped within 24 hours of order. Got it last week. ENDURACE CF SL DISC 8.0

They must be on a roll, My mate got his AEROAD CF SLX DISC 8.0 from stock delivered in a week.

Edit: I'm now mega jealous, it's a beauty..!

Soldato
Would not be spending £2.5k with PlanetX nor would I be overly concerned about 7KG. Personally 8KG or anything under is perfectly ample and acceptable. It would serve you well to just loose 2.2lb and/or get more powerful instead ;)

Can't beat Canyon's value but their lead times blow.

Soldato
Would not be spending £2.5k with PlanetX nor would I be overly concerned about 7KG. Personally 8KG or anything under is perfectly ample and acceptable. It would serve you well to just loose 2.2lb and/or get more powerful instead ;)

Can't beat Canyon's value but their lead times blow.

Don't forget you'll need to carry a heavy duty D lock, a heavy duty chain & shackle lock with your 7kg carbon road bike.

Soldato
I'm many years out of cycling but..... Way back in the day... when Miguel Indurain (5 time TDF winner 1991 - 1995) was at his peak I called into a Pinarello Dealer (Indurain' s bike sponsor at the time). He was building up a Pinarello frame and I was asking him about it. When he said it was the same frame the great man used, I said I thought that would be expensive! To my surprise he said it was Pinarello's middle of the range model. He said Indurain used it because it was strong and durable and wouldn't break during a race! So, bike weight isn't everything - especially if you're not a pro!

Soldato
I'm many years out of cycling but..... Way back in the day... when Miguel Indurain (5 time TDF winner 1991 - 1995) was at his peak I called into a Pinarello Dealer (Indurain' s bike sponsor at the time). He was building up a Pinarello frame and I was asking him about it. When he said it was the same frame the great man used, I said I thought that would be expensive! To my surprise he said it was Pinarello's middle of the range model. He said Indurain used it because it was strong and durable and wouldn't break during a race! So, bike weight isn't everything - especially if you're not a pro!

And even if you are...durianrider proved it's the rider, not the bike. He used a cheap road bike and was overtaking those on $$$$ bikes.

Soldato
Am I the only one that thinks that guys a total tadger?

I'd not spent that much from planet x.

We've sold a gold few Felt F4 for around £1280. Decent carbon with ultegra around 7.7kg as it has heavy wheels and tyres.

Leaves loads of room for something like quarter carbons, Rs81 or even hand built carbons from a local wheelbuilder.

Back
Top Bottom