New Samsung 920N - image quality

Associate
Hi,

I recently changed from a 19" crt to the 19" Samsung 920n. [desperatley needed some desk space]

The reponse rate seems gd, ie. no ghosting but I dunno if its just me put the visual quality in games doesnt seem all that great. Not sure if its because i can no longer do 1600x1200 resolution...

But i'm sure hl2 and cs:source looked better at 1280x1024 on my crt, colours just seem a tad bit off. Maybe i need to get a more expensive tft?

I did consider the Viewsonic VX2025wm, but even that doesnt reach 1600x1200

Any advice?

Soldato
How do you mean off?

The Samsung range have some cracking models. Ive just upgraded from a Samsung 913n (The older version to the 920) to a Hyundai N91. The Hyundai has a better picture but by no means is the Samsung off.

Soldato
TFTs are very different from CRTs. The colours can look a little odd (btw try calibrating the screen), and the sharp pixels can make the image look grainy and pixelated at times. 19" TFTs do have quite big pixels too which doesn't help.

I think the move from a TN to an MVA panel like the VX2025 (or something similar) would help. It's a higher resolution, with smaller pixels and it does true 24 bit colour, which your 920N doesn't.

Soldato
Meatball said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 19" panels had the same size pixels as a 17" but the gap between them was greater (the pixel pitch?)

Nope, the dot pitch is larger which means the pixel are bigger. Still it shouldn't make much difference.

Soldato
Meatball said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 19" panels had the same size pixels as a 17" but the gap between them was greater (the pixel pitch?)

As far as I know, pixel pitch (or dot pitch) is just how many pixels per inch, not the gap between them. Either way though, from personal experience the pixels on a 19" TFTs do look a touch more blocky and noticeable than on a 17".

Back
Top Bottom