New SFF - X-QPack Built

Soldato
Just put together a new SFF in the X-QPack case, managed to source a fully black one with no windows.

I changed the PSU for a Seasonic 380Watt and the 120mm Fan for a Noiseblocker Ultra.

Everything fitted in fine, including the normal ATX psu, the only item not fitted yet it the Zalman 7000B-Cu cpu cooler.

Spec:

AMD Athlon 3700+
ASRock 939A8X-M
1Gb Samsung PC3700
ATi X800XT PE - Modded with Arctic Cooler
160Gb Seagate & 80Gb Maxtor HD
Benq 1640 DVD-RW Black
380Watt Seasonic PSU

Here's some pics http://www.fwibble.org/gallery/view_gallery.php?gallery=newpc

:)

Last edited:
The stock 120mm fan is loud, very loud. Not sure about the stock PSU as it has never been used, heard bad reports about it so never chanced it.

With the way it is setup now i'd rate it 7/10 for silence, I guess when I get the Zalman on the cpu it will be quieter still.

Standard ATX PSU fits fine mate, check out the photo I took, there's a good inch and a half gap between the back of the DVD and the PSU.

I chose the Seasonic PSU specifically as the cables from the back come out of the left hand side and not the right hand size which would interfere. Oh and Seasonic is also quiet and very good :D

Yeah that the reason I chose the Seasonic, its cables come out the other side making life easier :)

And yep, the HD slider is a little loose, im thinking some thin foam will do the trick their and might help dampen the vibrations.

Can't comment on the overclocking potential as I haven't :p Don't think there is many options, there is a good review here: http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/reviews/939a8x-m/g1.htm

Its base speed is very similar to others, and its been stable. Im not at all impressed with the nForce drivers so this is one of the reasons I went ULi and im happy to say there are no regrets.

WJA96 - Already found a home for the PSU :D

Just got my Zalman 7000Cu today and it fitted perfectly, now its really silent!

CPU temp under full load for 10 minutes was 35degrees. GPU temp hardly goes above 40 with the Arctic Cooler fitted.

Really happy so far and impressed.

I'll upload some new pics tomorrow with the Zalman fitted.

Hey guys, finished taking some pics of the Zalman. Was straight forward installing it, no clearance problems whatsoever and it fits in real nice.

I have routed the fanmate to the outside on the back so I can control the fan speed myself, putting it on minimum its as if there is no fan! Cranking it up makes a noise but not that bad, and I will probably do that when playing games etc.

Having said that, it doesn't get hot, this is a very cool and quiet machine which I am happy about as that is what I intended to create.

Under full load, with the zalman on low setting, it reaches about 35degrees! It will sit and idle at 27deg all day long. Cranking up the Zalman makes a few degree's difference. (note: reported by the motherboard, no reason to doubt it but should air on the side of caution, can't be far wrong though)

Im not sure about fitting a bigger Zalman, the 120mm 7700Cu might be too big depending on the layout of your motherboard. I think you would get away with it if you had no graphics card installed and the cpu socket was in the right place.

http://www.fwibble.org/gal/view_gallery.php?gallery=newpc
The first 4 images are the new ones.

Sandmaster: I have tried lifting with the handle and it did work, although I would not recommend it. Good for moving short distances etc but not worth the worry to use regularly.

tim_enchanter: I can recommend a Seasonic PSU, will fit in perfectly especially if you have a windowed version of the X-QPack as the top of the Seasonic is pure black with no stickers. Oh and the cabling is well suited as it exits on the left, plenty of room for a DVDROM etc.

Edit: I found that my hard disks were getting a little warm, so I have inverted the rear fan to suck in air, rather than blow (ooer missus ;) ). Now I can feel the air coming out of the vents at the front and im much happier with the temps. The Noiseblocker fan is so quiet I can run it at 12v and its very quiet, the Seasonic PSU has leads for 5v and 12v so I can change them if I need to, might invest in another fanmate for it.

Last edited:
Hey Bad-Co, you got into the forums! :)

Nice build, and strange how we managed to pick near identical systems.

The 939A8X-M has the standard mounting holes needed, the standard heatsink surround is attached by four holes with pushpins and is real easy to remove. Push the white pins in from the back of the motherboard and the retainer will just come off.

Looking forward to some more pictures :D

Where'd this thread come from then? :p

The guy hearing crackling noises, sounds a lot like the switch problem. Take the front plastic off enough to get at the back of the switch. Just use some tape and stick of over the back of the switch (I used some brown parcel tape). Anything to stop the metal from the switch contacting the metal case.

Should sort the problem out! :D

Back
Top Bottom