New site not working

Soldato
Alright fellas, I bought a domain name a few years ago that I've just let lapse completely.

I bought the backorder option again today as I wanna use it just to stick my CV on. A few people I work with have done this with theirs and it looks pretty good, just one page with a bit of detail on them etc.

So I bought my domain name back for 3 years from 123-reg and paid like 12 quid or something.

Then I looked for a bit of free hosting as I don't want anything but a single page and I'm not expecting anything more than a handful of visits a month, if that.

Started using this cPanel through freehosting.com and installed WordPress through their Softaculous installer thing they have.

Using the File Manager they have in there, I can see the wordpress files are all there etc. but when you go to the domain name all you get is a 404, regardless of what you change the URL to.

Is this just a case of needing to wait for it to 'propagate' or whatever? Surely I should be able to at least set up the basic wordpress stuff?

If the domain name isn't working, that's just a redirect basically isn't it? Can I not just go somewhere directly and begin there?

In addition to that, you get an email address too which I put in to forward to my personal account, if I send through from the webmail thing it works, but not if you reply. If you then remove the forwarding option, the whole thing stops working too.

I downloaded FileZilla to see what I could do with that too and that won't connect either, just says the login failed.

Can anyone help me with any of this? I've set up a couple of these little sites before and always needed help but that was years ago and I was hoping to be able to do it on my own but that's clearly not worked.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
A 404 could indicate it hasn't propegated to the DNSs yet.

I assume you have pointed the url to freehosts name server? How long ago did you do it? Any idea on what your TTL is set to?

As its not a business site you can give us the url to have a looky night be an obvious one.

No I had not done that yet :rolleyes:

I've added that in the 123-reg control panel if that's correct? I don't know what TTL is or where to find it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah you need to point the domain (from 123 panel) to the freehosts name servers. Once that's done it can take a while to go live. (TTL is time to live or how long it takes for the DNS to find out something's changed and update accordingly).

Try again in a couple of hours after redirecting the domain and you should be good to go :).

Or was that a sarcastic rolleyes? :D.

No it was an 'I'm an idiot' rolleyes.

Should the FTP not work though by now? I understand the difficulties with calling the URL but surely if the cPanel can edit the files etc. then Filezilla should be able to?

Back
Top Bottom