New Sofa time

Soldato
As jpual said above. Se of the Ekornes / stressless furniture is really really good. Incredibly expensive but very well made.

If I was in the market for that particular style, I would get one second hand and repair it, recolour it or whatever was needed.

In pretty much every case, the cost of restoration is a lot lot less than buying new (depending on the initial new cost of course).

Associate
Honestly, knowing what I know now. If someone said to me what sofa will I buy next ? It would buy a second hand one, and I would either do it up (or get someone to do it, if I didn't already know), have it reupholstered, or the leather recoloured etc etc.
We recently replaced our 3 seater sofa, and I enquired about having it re-upholstered.

Quotes ranged around £1500 for fabric re-upholstering, and no-one would quote for leather.

Bought a brand new leather sofa for £1549 from M&S...

Permabanned
Soldato
Multiple thousands for a sofa are you all crazy?

And even those are expensive. 18 years ago I bought 2 sofas from Argos for about £150 each and they lasted decade or more.

Soldato
Multiple thousands for a sofa are you all crazy?

And even those are expensive. 18 years ago I bought 2 sofas from Argos for about £150 each and they lasted decade or more.
That sofa looks awful.

Soldato
Soldato

What's a good looking sofa look like to you?

You can just see it is poor quality tbh. I don't get why people come on here and laugh at people for buying quality items for their homes.

Soldato
You can just see it is poor quality tbh. I don't get why people come on here and laugh at people for buying quality items for their homes.
if its genuine higher quality then fine, but how many £3k sofa's are basically the same as £500 sofas? I don't know.

You can replace a £500 sofa six times for the same cost as a £3k sofa. If each one lasts you 5 years that's 30 years worth. Will a single quality one last 30 years? Maybe it would I don't know.

There is a optimum somewhere that's probably not at either end.

Actually that Loaf company you mentioned looks pretty decent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did this - although caution on real feather filling, you are constantly plumping -- just watch the people in the "slowroom" doing it each time someone sits down :D

Also mine was a sofa bed, and after 3 years - it is getting a tiny bit "hard".

I might replace the feather base cushions with something a bit more robust.

Edit: Also the foot stool/blanket storage thing is so well made it is almost ridiculous as it is so heavy to move.

Soldato
I bought a 2-piece set of layzee boy reclining leather sofas from SCS in 2018 for just over £4k, and by 2020 loads of the colour had flaked off the bit where the backs of your knees go. They put it down to 'wear and tear'.

Would avoid those.

Soldato
OP
I bought a 2-piece set of layzee boy reclining leather sofas from SCS in 2018 for just over £4k, and by 2020 loads of the colour had flaked off the bit where the backs of your knees go. They put it down to 'wear and tear'.

Would avoid those.
We returned our la-z-boy due to quality issues, it was 2 years old, we had a bit of a fight from SCS but they ultimately had to yield and we got a full refund.
It was comfortable, but we've definitely been put off buying another one, ours was material though, it sounds like yours was leather ?

I definitely would have fought the wear and tear claim from them, we quoted consumer rights act etc to get ours refunded.
its something along the lines of an item purchased should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time.

Soldato
We have the Vimle from Ikea, which is getting slagged off, and it's really comfortable and was good value for money compared to everywhere else we looked. It came down to the Vimle or similar sized one from John Lewis. The availability and value swayed us to the Ikea side of things.

The best sofas we found were at Loaf but they were expensive. Though when we replace this one we'll probably treat ourselves to one form Loaf especially once the kid is a bit older and the dog is now out of her annoying phases.

Soldato
I recently got these from DFS in the lighter mink colour. https://www.dfs.co.uk/sonny/onn13asms

Very comfy for slouching out, a lot or more modern looking ones look like something out of a cooperate companies reception foyer and look like you'll end up with a bad back/crooked neck if you spend any time gouching on them, lol!

I paid extra for the upgraded stuffing which seems to have been a good idea so far, nice and comy but don't lose shape/get permenant bum prints in them so should last longer. Paid £1017 inc. delivery for a 3 seater and a one seater.

My 1st priority was sofas that I could do a 'Homer Simpson' on, lol, followed by looks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom