New subwoofer

Soldato
my trusty q acoustics sub is dying.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? It would be sitting into the q acoustics 1010i 5.1 package

Budget wise - the whole 5.1 package only cost £500 so £200-£250?

Caporegime
BK xls 200.

also there is no hard fast rule but you should spend the same amount on a sub as you did the receiver and the speakers IMO.

for a build example

33% - AVR
33% - SUB
33% - 5.0 speakers

obviously you can adjust this give or take 10+/- for each item too. if you prefer more bass or want mre features from your AVR, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah ok cool. Thanks.

That q acoustic package included a sub for £500. The receiver is a Yamaha v575. So nothing snazzy.

The bks seems like the sensible option. Thanks

Caporegime
i own a BK XXLS 400 (the second biggest sub they do) and i can hear zero humming, in fact i normally forget to turn it off when i'm turning everything else off. If there was a hum I would hear it and also turn the sub off.

for me i'd say get the biggest sub you can afford. as much as i love my XXLS 400 i'd love to try a monolith.

Soldato
i own a BK XXLS 400 (the second biggest sub they do) and i can hear zero humming, in fact i normally forget to turn it off when i'm turning everything else off. If there was a hum I would hear it and also turn the sub off.

for me i'd say get the biggest sub you can afford. as much as i love my XXLS 400 i'd love to try a monolith.

They do seem to have recurring problem with humming/buzzing though, also another one was hum when crossover is disabled.

tbh I think having toroidal and class AB in a sub is a bit pointless.

Agree get the best you can afford, finally settled on a SVS SB13 Ultra. They've got the SB Ultra 16 as well.

Soldato

Monolith DF here, no humming.. And its a thing of beauty!! Oak finish, sat under tv next to hifi-racks podium oak rack (same height, the look of the two together is subtle), pair of oak floorstanders (DIY, Ergo IX from PFM forums)...

The recommendations for BK are strong.. Been through a few choices and when a second hand monolith popped up at a (very) good price it felt rude to saw no!

Soldato
Another vote for bk as well,they are only a hour away from me as well,had a friend buy a sub without a box from them and they were very helpful and friendly, I also have a qbass sub with a bk speaker in it, the sub box is old but the speaker is a year old,its pretty damn good for what it cost me and goes very very deep.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
New BK XXLS400-DF owner here. Brought to replaced a broken KK DXD808 that was £1000 and highly rated and tbh the BK is roughly a match for it. so great value for money. No humming and got mine for £389 delivered due to it being a B grade as there is ment to be a slight imperfection in the coating but I cant see it.

Check out the ebay seller colosussxb for the B grade stuff if intrested.

Comparing my old sub to the BK I would say the BK goes lower and pressurises the room more but the 808 is very fast bass and did sound better with music that does not use really low frequencies. In an Ideal world I would use both in the same system but the cat put paid to that.:mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
New BK XXLS400-DF owner here. Brought to replaced a broken KK DXD808 that was £1000 and highly rated and tbh the BK is roughly a match for it. so great value for money. No humming and got mine for £389 delivered due to it being a B grade as there is ment to be a slight imperfection in the coating but I cant see it.

Check out the ebay seller colosussxb for the B grade stuff if intrested.

Comparing my old sub to the BK I would say the BK goes lower and pressurises the room more but the 808 is very fast bass and did sound better with music that does not use really low frequencies. In an Ideal world I would use both in the same system but the cat put paid to that.:mad:

I have had an xls200-dfmk2 in my watch list from that seller for ages now. Glad to know they are pretty much brand new units :)

daz

daz

Soldato
Have just ordered an XLS200 DFMK2 myself yesterday morning - wish I'd have read this thread first!

As much as I'd have loved a larger sub, don't think I could have got it past the wife.

Back
Top Bottom