New system, reinstall os

Caporegime
Got my new i7 rig built last night, all working fine. Would it be ok to just install the chipset drivers for the new board, lan audio etc without formatting the hdd. Or would i be best off with a fresh install of the os (winxp 32 home) my previous board was an s775 asus p45 based p5q dlx, new board is an asus p6t deluxe v2. Ive heard there can be a few issues, but this xp install is only really to tide me over till win 7 is released, any important files i have are stored on a separate hdd from the os drive.

Associate
Incert your OS CD and follow instructions. Do a FULL format on a New HDD. (fresh install) If you do a quick it will go back to RAW state one day and you'll lose everything on it. That's my experience and quite a few pros experience. FULL Format.

Associate
I agree, remove any data you need to keep then wipe it clean. Driver conflicts are the largest pain in the rear to fix at a later date in an operating system. Might aswell just have a nice fresh start :D

Associate
agree with the "FULL format on a New HDD" but if it a know good hd,already in use quick is fine
and the op is going to be reinstailing in oct anyway

Man of Honour
Incert your OS CD and follow instructions. Do a FULL format on a New HDD. (fresh install) If you do a quick it will go back to RAW state one day and you'll lose everything on it. That's my experience and quite a few pros experience. FULL Format.

Can you provide some futher information on this. As far as I was aware, the only diffeence between a full and quick was the full format scanned the disk for errors. Still good to do a full foramt on a new disk.. just to make sure it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom