New Technology coming soon?

Soldato
Hey all,
I recently got a new job and since I live with my parent's it means a lot of disposable income, first things first, upgrade the PC :p

I usually only research things when i'm about to buy so i've been out of the scene a while.

I currently have a:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
AMD64 Winchester 3200+
Radeon 9800Pro
1GB Geil Value
80GB WDSE
160GB IBM Deskstar
19" Eizo CRT

I will be wanting to upgrade in about 1-2 months. Atm I can see that the AMD64 DualCores + X1900XTX are the top item's, so first instinct would be to buy them + a new motherboard with PCI. However, I don't want to do this and then a new CPU/GFX card comes out (this happened when I bought my Mobo 2 weeks later PCI was out) so are there any new technologies coming out that I should be aware of?

I usually go for the best price/performance as i've just been on a part time job before but now with full time I can afford to splash out, also I am not interested in overclocking so will want the best straight out of the box.

Just in case you got lost the question is, Are there any new technologys CPU/GFX coming out in the next few months (say up to 6 months time).

Thankyou.

AM2 should be out, which is AMDs new platform which uses DDR2. TBH i am not interested in it, so havent read up on it. But from what i have read on these forums, there isnt much of an increase in perfomance from SKT939.
On AM2 they will be releasing new versions of the X2 CPUs

Also "Conroe" is Intels forthcoming release, and everyone seems to be talking about it. Intel should be ahead of AMD with this. Have a read on both.

Justin

but as will all new things, they will probablly be quite expensive.

conroe seems to be the thing that everyone is talking about , but setting a budget is another matter..

The problems with conroe will not be the processor but the items that surround it. For example, i'd be willing to bet that these prices will put you off:

2gb Good 1000mhz DDR2 Ram = £400ish
Average Good mobo for current top intel CPU's = £180ish

LOL - They can stick them where the sun don't shine!

As with anything brand new you can afford to wait a year before it becomes mainstream and affordable by people who aren't on their bank manager's christmas card list.

I am buying an AMD 64 X2 4400+ and X1900XT in the next week or two [plus rest of system] and the AM2 and Conroe doesn't bother me one little bit.

If I had 5k to burn then yeah I'd get the latest... as it is I dont have that kind of spare cash so as an earlier poster said - they can shove it :D

SiriusB

fenderbass86 said:
I'm also having the same dilema. I'm after an X2 4400+ but will AMD release any new 939 CPU's after AM2 is released? If not, then is getting a cheap, yet decent 939 system worth it?

Yes, IMO

Skt939 will go down in history as one of the best chipsets.

The way things generally tend to work with new tech is they bring out a new chipset and within a year figure out what it can really do and then update it and make it better before starting all over.

e.g.

Athlon - revised to Athlon XP skt A (much better)
Ath 64's (Skt 754) - revised to 90nm (skt 939) Much better

So i'd be willing to bet my left nut, that within a year of AM2 being released they bring out AM4 or something, which will basically be the same but streamlined and better.

Whereas the good chipsets tend to last much longer like sktA and skt939

AM2 is just the same chips with DDR2. Its the same as S939 (basically).

Conroe is a huge leap over anything previous and should be priced pretty well.

Yeah the intel mobos are pricey - but I think it will even out with the performance going to conroe (and in a big way).

speeduk said:
Conroe is a huge leap over anything previous and should be priced pretty well.

I don't think you'll find conroe being that bigger leap.... Yea it's about 20% faster than an FX60, but so what. A clocked opty 170 could probably do that!

Now don't get me wrong i'm all for it if Intel can produce a good chip at last, but with the prices of DDR2 ram and Intel mobo's along with the processor, I think you'll find the cost of those 3 items to be around £900~£1000 so system cost could be around £1500 or more...... For 20% more speed it's hardly worth it!

The whole thing is just like between nVidia and ATi. Currently ATi's X1900 is top doggy - wasn't that long ago nVidia had the crown with its 7800GTXs. Maybe in just 6 months time nVidia will be on top again...

Same goes for Intel and AMD... been going on for as long as I can remember.

I tend to go for the best I can afford at the time and wait until such a time where my hardware is no longer capable of running the latest games etc.

My current system is an Intel P4 2.6GHz jobby with an MSI mobo, 512MB RAM and an ATi 9600 XT... This rig is about 3 years old and I can play Oblivion! Granted most of the graphics settings are quite low but I still enjoy the game as the graphics dont look that bad. Same with Far Cry - runs that like a beauty sometimes.

I suspect I will have my new X2 4400+ 2GB RAM X1900 rig for at least 2 years before I considered any major upgrades quite simply because nothing out there is likely to push it for a long time to come.

SiriusB

SiriusB said:
The whole thing is just like between nVidia and ATi. Currently ATi's X1900 is top doggy - wasn't that long ago nVidia had the crown with its 7800GTXs. Maybe in just 6 months time nVidia will be on top again...

Same goes for Intel and AMD... been going on for as long as I can remember.

I tend to go for the best I can afford at the time and wait until such a time where my hardware is no longer capable of running the latest games etc.

My current system is an Intel P4 2.6GHz jobby with an MSI mobo, 512MB RAM and an ATi 9600 XT... This rig is about 3 years old and I can play Oblivion! Granted most of the graphics settings are quite low but I still enjoy the game as the graphics dont look that bad. Same with Far Cry - runs that like a beauty sometimes.

I suspect I will have my new X2 4400+ 2GB RAM X1900 rig for at least 2 years before I considered any major upgrades quite simply because nothing out there is likely to push it for a long time to come.

SiriusB

I agree... I'm playing HL2, COD2, FEAR, MaxPayne2, GTA SA, QUAKE4, DOOM3, B&W2 etc etc on my rig:

XP2500+ @ 2.2ghz
512mb PC3200
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
His 9800Pro @ 425/790
Antec 430W

Upgrading soon though! Quake 4 pushes it the most

Monstermunch said:
I agree... I'm playing HL2, COD2, FEAR, MaxPayne2, GTA SA, QUAKE4, DOOM3, B&W2 etc etc on my rig:

XP2500+ @ 2.2ghz
512mb PC3200
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
His 9800Pro @ 425/790
Antec 430W

Upgrading soon though! Quake 4 pushes it the most

Yeah, although I can play stuff like Oblivion, I miss my eye candy lol.

SiriusB

Monstermunch said:
Yea, me too. I've never actually had a game running with AA or AF. Having said that on a 19" CRT running games at 1024x768 i bet there's not that much difference

1280x1024 here on my 19" CRT and you're right - I dont see much in it. Having said that Ive never really had the power to get AA and AF in the last year or so lol

SiriusB

I'd wait, what with Vista and DX10's hardware requirements... :eek:
Whats the point in spending a ton of cash when Microshafts gonna mess most of it up at the end of the year / begining of 07

Monstermunch said:
I don't think you'll find conroe being that bigger leap.... Yea it's about 20% faster than an FX60, but so what. A clocked opty 170 could probably do that!

Now don't get me wrong i'm all for it if Intel can produce a good chip at last, but with the prices of DDR2 ram and Intel mobo's along with the processor, I think you'll find the cost of those 3 items to be around £900~£1000 so system cost could be around £1500 or more...... For 20% more speed it's hardly worth it!

From what I have seen - conroe is much more than 20% faster than an FX 60. And these conroes seem to be highly overclockable i.e over 3ghz stock cooler.

Only way a clocked opty 170 would be 20% faster than an FX60 is if it reached 3.2ghz and that is only likely on phase cooling.

I think some people are in for a suprise later this year.

Back
Top Bottom