New TFT £500 to £700

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice new TFT screen.
I've tried researching the issue myself, but got confused with conflicting reviews and specifications, so I'd like to hear some independant opinions.

I'm looking for a screen with a naitive resolution of no higher than 1280x1024 as I'm rather short sighted and it's a strain to use some of the higher resolutions.
Also my gfx card isn't powerful enough to run games in very high resolutions.

I'd like something with a very low response time as I like competitive online FPS games, such as UT2K4.

Colour accuracy is important too as the primary use for the screen will be to watch movies and TV.

As for size - well as big as I can get for around the £500 to £700 pound mark would be good.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

If 1280 x 10224 is your max. Your not going to be having anything bigger than 19".

If your watching movies, you wont want one of the TN film monitors as these are notoriously bad for viewing angles and noise during movie playback.

Id recommend the Viewsonic VP930 , its £350 (good news, i dont think its possible to spend £700 on a 19inch monitor) and its P-MVA based so has good black levels and movie playback.

Its response time is "only" 8ms. But tbh this will more than suffice. The benefits given by not using a 2ms/4ms/ TN Film panel, more than outweigh the drawbacks of having 8ms. But as i said before, i doubt youll notice any ghosting on 8ms panels

Last edited:
MrLOL said:
If 1280 x 10224 is your max. Your not going to be having anything bigger than 19".

If your watching movies, you wont want one of the TN film monitors as these are notoriously bad for viewing angles and noise during movie playback.

Id recommend the Viewsonic VP930 , its £350 (good news, i dont think its possible to spend £700 on a 19inch monitor) and its P-MVA based so has good black levels and movie playback.

Its response time is "only" 8ms. But tbh this will more than suffice. The benefits given by not using a 2ms/4ms/ TN Film panel, more than outweigh the drawbacks of having 8ms. But as i said before, i doubt youll notice any ghosting on 8ms panels

Thanks for that - I think this should do for now - I can always get a super-large display to go with it at a later date.

Cheers :)

you were looking to spend £700 ish. the the change you could just about stretch to the £400 20" widescreen NEC as well. Its looking to be the 20" monitor to have. But we wont know for sure till its released and we get enough reviews with which to make a balance oppinion.

Back
Top Bottom