New theme park: Universal Studios… Bedford!

Man of Honour
Yes, really! :eek:

Wow - this is just incredible news for the UK theme park / entertainment industry. Here’s hoping it happens :)

Edit: adding BBC link:

Last edited:
Bedford?!

Good luck that that going ahead. Sounds like another wishful thought from similar chaps who brought you the "London Resort"!

Yeah that has been amateur hour… or decade.

With Universal behind it, it’s a global brand and for them to come out publicising it suggests that they will have already provisionally agreed it with the planning authorities or it’s otherwise well advanced behind the scenes … but let’s see.

I believe the Kent debacle was originally backed by Paramount.

Yes - they provided the IP, but it wasn’t financially backed by them (as far as I know, I guess).

Paramount did co-own a few parks in the US that are now under the Cedar Fair brand, but they mostly left the industry.

Meanwhile, Comcast (owner of Universal) has acquired a construction company which in turn owns the land associated with the project.

In other news, Cedar Fair and Six Flags announced a merger a few weeks ago. Crazy times!

Last edited:
You never too old for a ride at a theme park.

I saw a someone with a zimmer frame, mid 80s at least, get on the back row of Lightning Rod once :eek:

At the time my wife and I were like “she’s going to die / break her legs” and I did think about raising concerns to the staff but in the end I thought it was none of my business and it could be rude to suggest she was too old. I will never forget seeing her fly over the famous ‘quad down’, it was quite the sight!

Now on BBC:

Last edited:
Disneyland Paris doesn’t have the attention to detail with customer service that you get in USA, which is to be expected, but the main park areas are beautiful - it’s much bettered planned than Magic Kingdom with sight lines etc.

The adjacent studios park however is really dire :o

Another difference is the clientele - going to a US Disney park is generally a mega event, a long vacation with matching t-shirts for families etc. In Paris it’s school trips and tracksuit bottoms, so you do lose a bit of that ‘OMG we’re here!’ vibe… still, it’s nice.

Oh and the food isn’t so good…

Alright it’s not as good, ok? :p

It really doesn’t matter, but @Wing-Man you said “EU Universal Studios”.

EU = European Union, which is why people have made those comments about the European Union. I think you’ve acknowledged / get this, but juuuust making sure you get what people were talking about :)

Plenty of good theme parks in Europe of course, with Phantasialand and Europa-Park in Germany probably the two leaders :cool:

This area in Phantasialand is beautiful:

Energylandia in Poland for the two best coasters though, with Zadra being the best in Europe, IMO :)

Last edited:
In related news for fellow theme park fans (well, true fanatics would already know), Thorpe Park is about to get the UK's second truly decent roller coaster in Hyperia... which despite being very short looks great, certainly unique globally!

Opens 2024 :)

This got topped off today! Tallest in the UK and whilst I’m normally a massive coaster snob, I have to say that first drop looks devastating…!

I6Y7Dbw.jpeg

Those familiar with Thorpe can see Saw: The Ride looking like an absolute pipsqueak in comparison (on the left).

Last edited:
What's the other?

Nemesis at Alton Towers - still brings the heat and makes my worldwide top 20!

Back in the 90s and into the 2000s, there was really an emphasis on ‘the more inversions the better’ so to my mind Nemesis always seemed a bit second rate to its younger and larger American equivalents (Montu, Alpengeist etc.) but with more experienced eyes I think Nemesis is the best of the bunch. The section from the first inversion, through the helix and bouncing up into the station flyover is world class. Quality over quantity!

It’s been rebuilt (90% track replacement) this year - can’t wait to get back on it.

Nobody gave a poop when I posted this but might as well reshare, my top 10:

10 - Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion - USA)

9 - Millennium Force (Cedar Point - USA)

8 - The Phantom’s Revenge (Kennywood - USA)

7 - Mystic Timbers (Kings Island - USA)

6 - Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure (Islands of Adventure - USA)

5 - Zadra (Energylandia - Poland)

4 - Maverick (Cedar Point - USA)

3 - Lightning Rod (Dollywood - USA)

2 - Iron Gwazi (Busch Gardens Tampa - USA)

1 - Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point - USA)

I doubt anything is going to crack that soon!

We're of there in a couple of weeks, thanks for confirming the French can't do it

Haha you’ll still have a nice time - I really enjoyed it :)

If you fancy a more thrilling ride selection, Parc Asterix is not too far away!

Last edited:
It’s a MASSIVE day for UK theme park fans today, as Nemesis is reopening as Nemesis Reborn!!!

I can’t make it myself but Alton Towers is completely sold out - people probably queuing already to get that day 1 ride.

I’m just having to make do with what just got released on Apple Music….

FKlo2SU.jpeg

… I’m so goddamn pumped and I won’t even be there lol.

Back
Top Bottom