New theme park: Universal Studios… Bedford!

I doubt it will happen either as it would create a load of problems in that area and a lot of the locals around here would throw a fit.
I really can't see the local road infrastructure supporting theme-park type traffic, the A421 is bad enough in the mornings and the A6 is mostly single lane (around there) from the north (Clapham/Great Denham) and south (from Luton/Barton), and would need to be heavily improved.
Plus the planned area for this park would encroach on Marston's country park, who i'm sure they would love having a theme park next door, the rough site for Stewartby studios, which i've got no idea if that's still planning to go ahead, and the interchange expansion rumours.

Saying that, this probably would finally lead to the Wixams station getting built :cry:
If Alton can handle alton towers traffic. I'm sure Bradders can handle the same.

Will it be on the same scale, if it is then it’s not a real universe studios
Don't forget, Alton towers has a ton of unused space.
If they filled they entire thing, like they do in the US, then it would likely have 2 or 3x the attractions.

I don't think the land they bought (the brick works) is to the scale of a "real" universal studios anyway.

I doubt it will happen either as it would create a load of problems in that area and a lot of the locals around here would throw a fit.
I really can't see the local road infrastructure supporting theme-park type traffic, the A421 is bad enough in the mornings and the A6 is mostly single lane (around there) from the north (Clapham/Great Denham) and south (from Luton/Barton), and would need to be heavily improved.
Plus the planned area for this park would encroach on Marston's country park, who i'm sure they would love having a theme park next door, the rough site for Stewartby studios, which i've got no idea if that's still planning to go ahead, and the interchange expansion rumours.

Saying that, this probably would finally lead to the Wixams station getting built :cry:

It's fine, the A6 Clophill has been upgraded to 30mph from 40 to increase traffic flow and an increase in average speed cameras will make the area much safer! Probably decided that no one can speed if the roads are gridlocked.

Have you seen the teletubby mound they're building at Haynes Park just south of the site? 25,000 capacity meeting venue!

I'd really love for this to go ahead even though I'm only 10mins away from the site, lots of opportunities to boost tourism in the area, hopefully increase hotel and leisure facilities to Central Bedfordshire and improve seasonal youth employment, but the councils here will throw cash at bad projects and want cash from good ones so it's rare to see any progression.

Bring it.

Bedfordland will be epic!

It'll never pass planning due to noise. They've developed all around Cardington and Wixams is still under construction to the south. They've been trying to shut down Thurleigh for track days for years (and develop the site for housing) due to noise.

The Stewartby site was earmarked to become more soundstages for film studios to expand the facilities offered near Cardington and Thurleigh.

The Eden aquatics centre was originally penned for the brickworks site and Beds Borough spent millions supporting that campaign. This will become another taxpayer failed project and flogged for housing like every other major project.

Just need to stop building these concentration camp themed housing estates. Hateful things, especially that new one behind the hangers.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that this is the main road into Alton Towers!

Unless they build a new junction off the A421, then access would be either from Woburn Road or the B530 and neither are particularly suited to lots of traffic and the local villagers would get in a complete huff over it.

It's fine, the A6 Clophill has been upgraded to 30mph from 40 to increase traffic flow and an increase in average speed cameras will make the area much safer! Probably decided that no one can speed if the roads are gridlocked.

Have you seen the teletubby mound they're building at Haynes Park just south of the site? 25,000 capacity meeting venue!
It's a shambles around Clophill especially with those roadworks.
The theatre mound building looks impressive but it's only for those Indian Science 'group' isn't it?

One thing i don't understand with the proposed site for this theme park is, what happens to the bit of Kempston Hardwick that runs (almost spack bang in the middle) through it? Are they buying the houses/business buildings up or going to build around them?
I would have thought they would look for somewhere closer to the M1 or A1, plenty of land around.

The cynicism and negativity in this thread saddens me.
As @Steeps says, it would be good if it happens but living within spitting distance of the proposed site and knowing the council which has had other grandiosa ideas that haven't come to anything, it's understandable why some of us are a little sceptic of it actually going ahead.

Last edited:
In related news for fellow theme park fans (well, true fanatics would already know), Thorpe Park is about to get the UK's second truly decent roller coaster in Hyperia... which despite being very short looks great, certainly unique globally!

Opens 2024 :)

This got topped off today! Tallest in the UK and whilst I’m normally a massive coaster snob, I have to say that first drop looks devastating…!

I6Y7Dbw.jpeg

Those familiar with Thorpe can see Saw: The Ride looking like an absolute pipsqueak in comparison (on the left).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom