New to baking, What to bake ?

Man of Honour
I'll go with the cinnamon donut muffins tbh.

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

Ingredients

1-3/4 cups All-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Table salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Vegetable oil
1 egg Lightly beaten
3/4 cup Milk
9 teaspoons apple sauce
Topping

1/4 cup Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon

Directions

In a large bowl,sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; whisk to combine.

In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, and milk.

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half-full; place one teaspoon jam on top.

Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine took 20) or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, dip tops in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar.

Serve warm or room temperature.

Or....

Cheesecake Brownies

125g margarine
125g dark chocolate
200g brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
50g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
0.25tsp baking powder
200g Philadelphia Light
50g caster sugar

Combine margarine, chocolate and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until chocolate and margarine have melted. Remove from heat and whisk in eggs.

Add flour, cocoa and baking powder and stir until well combined. Pour into a greased and lined 18cm x28cm rectangular tin.

Beat Philly and caster sugar until smooth and creamy. Spoon randomly over chocolate mixture and swirl with the tip of a knife.

Bake at 180c, 350F, Gas Mark 4 for 25-30mins or until cooked through. Allow to cool before slicing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OMG those cinnamon donut muffins sound amazing!

They are. :D I now do them with a vanilla cinnamon glaze instead of the cinnamon sugar.

Also, solidifying the apple sauce before hand in small moulds in the freezer helps a lot. *not totally frozen, just more solid*

Soldato
am wondering about a large Cinammon doughnut in savarin/kugelhoff tin, full Homer size ?

what role do electric mixers have in your baking ?
never had a hand mixer but got an electric mixer, with food processor attachment a couple of years back, and that made the activity much more pleasurable, both creaming for cakes, preparing the wet mix for batters, pastry, can all be done within minutes, with butter practically direct from the fridge. (on the otherhand never invested in a microwave)
.. so this should be on yours/hers christmas/prime-day list

Soldato
I definitely wouldn't be without an electric mixer, it's such an essentially basic thing it's doing, it would be madness to do it by hand when an electric mixer is so much less hard work and is quicker!

Man of Honour
My mixer broke inbetween moving from the flat to the house. The smoke escaped when we plugged it back in. So back to hand mixing for the time being. Haven't got round to opening it and finding out what's wrong.

That was a year ago....

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I love all things savoury so for me when it comes to baking it has to be pies, try something simple like mince of steak pie. Short crust pastry is so easy it's hard to get ti wrong, oh and at the moment I'm loving apple pie thanks to the tree we have in the garden.

Soldato
Nostalgic for version I had tried in the USA,
I had intended to try out a pumpkin pie, until I learned that debuting Pumpkins in the UK shops are not really good for culinary use (does anyone in uk sell ones that are - or if I bought a small one ?)

Consulting the Guardian (good for recipes) they suggest using a butternut squash instead (even sweet potatoe)
and was now somewhat divertd by the Marlborough pie suggestions/comment the article had, since currently, have a windfall apples, surplus.

Soldato
We're having a bake off for Halloween at work, I won last year with Salted Caramel cupcakes, this year I am going to try and one up that as I am planning a 4 layer Red Velvet cake, with cream cheese frosting inside, vanilla buttercream frosting around and then hopefully a raspberry flavoured ganache drip icing to finish it off. Fingers crossed I can pull it off.

Soldato
Pumpkin pie is a personal favourite desert this time of year. Got to thank the yanks for this one, although i do it with a puree rather than from a pumpkin

so did you use tinned pumpkin ?, or is there a UK variety that is clearly distinguishable for culinary use.

Soldato
Tinned for ease of use. Takes a few minutes to prep and is full of flavour.

Halloween pumpkins are too watery and flavourless. You can use smaller fleshier pumpkins if you can get them from a farm shop but it can be hit and miss.

You can pretty much use any sweeter tasting squash as replacement but tinned pumpkin puree is easier and tasty. There are plenty of recipes and a lot of the flavour actually comes from the 'pumpkin spices' rather than the pumpkin itself, as well as the sugar in it. Recipes vary a lot in consistency, from a light quiche to thick tart, but flavours are the same. More eggs or use of condense milk and cream instead of evaporated milk and sugar nets you a thicker pie top. Serve it with sweetened cream by whipping a bit of icing sugar and whipping cream with a blender until stiff.

Soldato
It is worth a go but with butternut being rock hard raw, requiring some pealing and boiling, i would have a go at the tinned stuff to start to see whether you like the flavour of pumpkin spice.

The recipe with that stuff for the speedy version is:

1.blend up the tinned pumpkin, condensed milk/evaporated milk and sugar, cream, eggs
2.pour into pre-made pie crust/base
3. cook on on about 200 degrees for 10-15 and then turn down the temperature and cook longer so the mixture sets and the crust does not burn.

Soldato
Tinned for ease of use. Takes a few minutes to prep and is full of flavour.

Halloween pumpkins are too watery and flavourless. You can use smaller fleshier pumpkins if you can get them from a farm shop but it can be hit and miss.

You can pretty much use any sweeter tasting squash as replacement but tinned pumpkin puree is easier and tasty. There are plenty of recipes and a lot of the flavour actually comes from the 'pumpkin spices' rather than the pumpkin itself, as well as the sugar in it. Recipes vary a lot in consistency, from a light quiche to thick tart, but flavours are the same. More eggs or use of condense milk and cream instead of evaporated milk and sugar nets you a thicker pie top. Serve it with sweetened cream by whipping a bit of icing sugar and whipping cream with a blender until stiff.

Interesting, might try this. After one Halloween and making about 5l of pumpkin soup I decided I didn't want to cook pumpkin ever again :p

Soldato
Pumpkin can be very nice but the pumpkins you get for carving are 'giant pumpkins' and are basically mostly water and more flavourless than marrows.

You can roast them, mash them, make them into a pie or risotto but if the original pumpkin flesh you use has little flavour, it wont add much. I remember roasting a supermarket pumpkin with garlic, oil and herbs and it was so watery it came out like a flavourless melon cubes.

Save the supermarket ones for carving, get tinned stuff or normal sized pumpkins/squashes from farm shops. I grabbed a few mini pumpkins from the shop which will remain uncarved and stacked as decorations, these will end up as food for fireworks night.

This is the stuff i use:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=273861046

I normally skip the crust part and buy a premade one, as i can leave it to cool in the foil. I don't know if you can classify anything this easy as baking though :p

Soldato
and was now somewhat divertd by the Marlborough pie suggestions/comment the article had, since currently, have a windfall apples, surplus.
next time with pumpkin, but, for now, the windfall's won't eat themselves, albeit, the insects have a good try.
pretty similar recipe - evaporated milk/2 eggs/melted-butter/cinnamon/pureed bramley/light muscavado

37594181276_266f8b8b29_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Just a tip for when baking. Measure out everything first on to one side so when you are making something you don't need to stop the process and you wont miss or forget an ingredient.
Same thing with cake tins and oven. Get them ready first so you are not letting things sit around.

Sounds like a pointless tip but a lot of people don't do this and they really should. It makes things so much more easier and organised.

I keep a stash of used glass rammikens or whatever "luxury" deserts from the supermarket come in are called.

Especially for cooking with lots of spices and the like, because they're all the same you don't have to tare the scales each time and you've got everything you need right in front of you.

Back
Top Bottom