New to building. Please suggest me a basket. Thank you!

Associate
Hello,

A couple years ago I bought a very basic pre-built (https://store.acer.com/nl-nl/acer-aspire-xc-desktop-xc-895-zwart-dt-beweh-00j), because all I planned on doing with it was playing Oldschool Runescape and some office365 for work and watching some youtube vids here and there. So not very taxing at all. The linked website is in Dutch but I'm sure you guys will understand the spec sheet better than I do.

And although this PC has been working just fine for me for what I bought it for, my desires have shifted since and would like to upgrade and build my own PC. I'm not looking for a big upgrade, but the fact that I can't upgrade my existing machine is bothering me. I would like to own something more modular so I can upgrade whatever whenever I so please.

Things I have laying around:
- Mouse and keyboard
- Monitor (https://www.coolblue.nl/product/922...t2F5CPpPYSOY1Yh6-Pzk3EiWtxSj5wIBoCXP0QAvD_BwE) Again, it's in Dutch but I'm sure you guys can figure it out)
- Inno3D GeForce GTX 1060

One of my students also offered me his 3060. I dont know if that would change anything for the other component's requirements (such as power supply for example).

I have around 600EU to spend on it and the things I would need are:
- Case
- Motherboard
(Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity)
- CPU
- RAM
- 512gb SSD
- Power supply
- Windows license???
- Maybe a better monitor too? My FPS are capped at 50 even though my monitor says it has a 75hz refreshrate. Should I grab a 144hz monitor instead?

The PC will be used mostly for
Streaming
MS Office
Runescape
Minecraft

My budget can be increased but only for the right reasons. I'm very new when it comes to building a PC and everything that comes with it. But I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) a self-built PC with similar to slightly improved specs to the pre-built one I own shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Thanks for taking your time reading and suggesting possible options for me to explore!

This is the best I could do:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £579.84 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

- Maybe a better monitor too? My FPS are capped at 50 even though my monitor says it has a 75hz refreshrate. Should I grab a 144hz monitor instead?

Sure, you could, but monitors aren't cheap and you have a very limited budget for the PC already.

One of my students also offered me his 3060. I dont know if that would change anything for the other component's requirements (such as power supply for example).

Nah, a decent 550 should be enough for a 1060 or 3060. Ideally I'd look at higher so that you have more future upgrade potential (e.g. 750, 850).

My budget can be increased but only for the right reasons. I'm very new when it comes to building a PC and everything that comes with it. But I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) a self-built PC with similar to slightly improved specs to the pre-built one I own shouldn't be too expensive, right?

10th gen builds are actually really cheap, but if you want something upgradeable in the future, then you won't have many options. For example: if you go AM4 then you could get a 5800X3D, or if you go Intel, maybe a 13600K.

This is more the kind of build I'd do, if you can afford it:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £831.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

This is the best I could do:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £579.84 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Sure, you could, but monitors aren't cheap and you have a very limited budget for the PC already.

Nah, a decent 550 should be enough for a 1060 or 3060. Ideally I'd look at higher so that you have more future upgrade potential (e.g. 750, 850).

10th gen builds are actually really cheap, but if you want something upgradeable in the future, then you won't have many options. For example: if you go AM4 then you could get a 5800X3D, or if you go Intel, maybe a 13600K.

This is more the kind of build I'd do, if you can afford it:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £831.88 (includes delivery: £11.98)​
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom