New to computers and looking to Upgrade

Associate
Hey I got a computer back in 2021 and wanted to see if it was possible to upgrade it? I don’t know what’s considered better so I’m looking for some advice

I’m looking for something to play most modern games in high quality (I.e. the New Spider-Man PS4 steam ports) but idk where to begin

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 2 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB
(The specs from the website I got it from)

Any help on things I’d need for PC building too would be helpful ty

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey I got a computer back in 2021 and wanted to see if it was possible to upgrade it? I don’t know what’s considered better so I’m looking for some advice

I’m looking for something to play most modern games in high quality (I.e. the New Spider-Man PS4 steam ports) but idk where to begin

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 2 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB
(The specs from the website I got it from)

Any help on things I’d need for PC building too would be helpful ty
I was checking it this morning after watching some videos to see what parts were being stressed and by looks of it it was the CPU & storage

Man of Honour
Depending on your motherboard you may be able to drop a 5000 series cpu in it. Memory should also be doubled to 16Gb as 8Gb just isn't enough these days for gaming. So with that in mind could you let us know the following please:-
1. Make and model of motherboard.
2. Make and speed of memory (part number would be good) and how many sticks are currently installed.
3. Make and model of psu.
4. What screen res do you game at.
5. How much do you want to spend.

If you download CPU-z it will tell you the motherboard make, model, version and what bios it is currently running under the motherboard tab. Under the SPD tab it will tell you the make, speed and part number of your memory (you have to select the slot number in the top left corner).

Soldato
3600 is still a decent cpu, I can't imagine it struggling to keep up with a 5500XT unless you're playing at an extremely low resolution, which if you are, stop :p

5500XT is a pretty low end gpu, this will be the bottleneck when it comes to running games well (If you measured usage of storage/cpu/gpu whilst watching videos its not reflective at all of what will happen during a game)

Man of Honour

Hardware unboxed did a couple videos on the new spiderman release, with loads of CPUs and graphics cards, you might want to check them out (CPUs, graphics).

From what I can see, you should be fine at 1080p (might have to turn the settings down a little bit, depending on your FPS target).

The most pressing upgrade is the RAM (especially if you have a slow i.e. < 3000, single stick).

An SSD to put your games on (instead of an HDD) would be nice too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Depending on your motherboard you may be able to drop a 5000 series cpu in it. Memory should also be doubled to 16Gb as 8Gb just isn't enough these days for gaming. So with that in mind could you let us know the following please:-
1. Make and model of motherboard.
2. Make and speed of memory (part number would be good) and how many sticks are currently installed.
3. Make and model of psu.
4. What screen res do you game at.
5. How much do you want to spend.

If you download CPU-z it will tell you the motherboard make, model, version and what bios it is currently running under the motherboard tab. Under the SPD tab it will tell you the make, speed and part number of your memory (you have to select the slot number in the top left corner).
hey Pasty, just checking so I can do this right but wwhat does Make & Model mean? I see in CPU-Z it has model and the name of everything but after that im confused.

Associate
1-In cpuz in the mainboard tab look for the Model and type in what is to the right of it. i.e. MAG X570S Tomahawk Max Wifi 1.0

2a-Then in the SPD tab underneath the DDR4 it will have a part number, let us know that part number. i.e CMW16GX4M2C3200C16

2b-In the memory tab it tells you how your ram is configured so we can see if it is running with the XMP settings enabled, best to take screen shot of that tab (screenshots of all the tabs would be good tbh)

3- You have to open the case and look for the label on the psu.

4- Right click on the desktop and click on display settings, under advanced settings it will show you your res and refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom