new to linux

Suspended
Ive got a 20GB HDD sitting next to me here that im going to stick Linux on.

But, which one?

Ill be connecting to a Windows network to access the net and id prefer one with really good noob support/documentation built in.

Any suggestions?

Right ive downloaded Ubuntu and installed it to the 20GB HDD.

My setup is:

2 Sata Drives (80GB PRI & 250GB SEC)
1 x DVD-RW (set to primary)
1 x 20GB IDE (on same cable as DVD-RW and set to secondary)

On start up i dont get an option of which OS to boot up, is this because the HDD is set as a secondary??

Reason its like this is because i can be bothered to walk the 10mins home to get another cable :P

Or is it something else??

Did you install a bootloader to the MBR (master boot record)? It would likely be called Lilo or Grub. A bootloader will replace the Windows one that is already there and give you a screen on which you may select the OS you'd like to boot. You can change the default OS in /boot/lilo or /boot/grub, as the case may be. On a dual boot machine I like to have the default as Windows and most installations of Linux make themselves the top dog by default.

does it say "booting OS" if so there should be an option to press something like escape and then select the alternative OS,

if you remove the LINUX HD like Billy said, it will just give you minimal GRUB because it cant find the bootloader config file, so thats not really a good idea, unless your removing linux

uk_viper said:
if you remove the LINUX HD like Billy said, it will just give you minimal GRUB because it cant find the bootloader config file, so thats not really a good idea, unless your removing linux

The intention there is to make it stop at the bootloader. From the sounds of it he wasn't seeing any options at all. That might mean that the Windows partition was nuked or something else. At least you can verify that the bootloader is there and working when it spits out an error.

It's probably not the best way to test like that, but it gets the job done I suppose.

/goes to hide in cave ;)

Back
Top Bottom