New to overclocking (i7-2600k)

Associate
Hi everyone, as the post title says I'm new to this.

Just got a Asus P8Z68-v Pro board yesterday and put my new (second hard parts) pc together and thought I'd try the AI overclock thing, it oc'd my cpu up to approx 4.4ghz, which considering I'm on air cooling surprised me.

But I was curious to see if these temperatures were ok? I ran prime95 for about 45 minutes and the highest the temp went was 71 degrees and nothing crashed.

My cooler is an evo 212 and I have two 140mm Corsair intake fans and two 120mm fans that came with the case (Fractal Design Define C) as exhaust

If you need any more info I'll happily add it, I'm not sure if this is even the right section to post in so I apologize if it's not

https://prnt.sc/na3siw screenshot showing temps

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Man of Honour
AI overclock thing, it oc'd my cpu up to approx 4.4ghz,
auto overclocking tends to send a lot of volts (certainly higher than required) through to the CPU, which can reduce it's lifespan (or worse, damage it, if overvolted for too long).
intel states 1.35v should be the max, yours is/was 1.37v max according to the pic...suggest lowering the LLC a bit and see if it's stable.
though that being said, previously, some people were running sandybridge chips at 1.4v (but i can't vouch for their longevity). those parts are now 8+ years old, so i suggest not pushing it to the max either.
4.5ghz is an easily obtainable overclock with a semi decent cooler like you have if you do wander to the realms of manually overclocking the chip.

Soldato
auto overclocking tends to send a lot of volts (certainly higher than required) through to the CPU, which can reduce it's lifespan (or worse, damage it, if overvolted for too long).
intel states 1.35v should be the max, yours is/was 1.37v max according to the pic...suggest lowering the LLC a bit and see if it's stable.
though that being said, previously, some people were running sandybridge chips at 1.4v (but i can't vouch for their longevity). those parts are now 8+ years old, so i suggest not pushing it to the max either.
4.5ghz is an easily obtainable overclock with a semi decent cooler like you have if you do wander to the realms of manually overclocking the chip.
Pretty much this. I'd generally advise to set the VCore to 1.35v and see how high it will go. 4.5Ghz should be achievable and ~4.7Ghz with an adjustment to LLC may be OK if the silicon is good.

You might want to look into using the Offset method to control CPU voltage as I found this actually increased my stability and decreased the volts I needed, which seemed counterintuitive.

Associate
Max overclocked i7 2600k to 5.0 GHz.
The processor is hot, but liquid cooling can handle it.
Air-cooled and liquid-cooled temperature tests

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom