New to web design

Associate
When I was around 13/14 I tried to learn JavaScript, I made a pretty basic page as far as I remember. I am going to start a small business in the near future as a sideline with potential so I will want to get a decent website.

Where should I start? Should I do any online courses? I have a friend who is into web design who can help me along the way in person. He isn't on this site and I'm pretty sure he won't have the experience that some of the forum members have.

If it comes to it I'll get a page designed for me but I am interested in learning myself, cheers

Associate
The best places to start is fine tuning your knowledge of HTML5 and CSS. Anyone can hash together a website these days but doing it well is another story.

Check out all the info on:

w3 Schools

Next you want to check out bootstrap. Bootstrap is a responsive grid system built in HTML and is one of the best ways to make a modern multi device website. A good place to start is grabbing their CSS and messing.

Check it out at Bootstrap Website

Next thing is Wordpress. Depending on the purpose and scale of the website sometimes a few or even one html page can be enough but when working on slightly bigger projects Wordpress can be the best choice. Mostly everything you do on Wordpress will be plug and play in the form of plugins meaning that even people with little or no knowledge of javascript/jQuery can achieve some great things.

The best part is that both these platforms are so commonly used now that you can get 1000s of free/premium templates ready to go meaning half the design work is done for you.

If you have any more questions be glad to help you out. :)

Back
Top Bottom