New upgrade

Associate
Ok here is the deal I currently have an AMD 4000+ on a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard and a ATI X850 xtpe and 2 gig of ram.

I am looking to upgrade my pc spending about £900 :D

I would like to change to NVIDIA because I have had a lot of problems with my ati card, crashing in BF2 and fear ect….

And not shore if I want SLI, is it worth the money?, I am a 100% gamer on my PC. ;)

And do I need to upgrade to Dual Core Athlon 64's?

I can keep my case, hhd’s and cd drives and PSU which is a 480w Akasa

thanks for any help Ash

Man of Honour
What is wrong with your PC other than you don't get on with the X850XT? Are you suffering slowdown in games or anything? It may be that a new graphics card is all you really need to make it acceptable again because it is still a pretty high end PC.

Dual core is worth it if you are likely to be multitasking but you have to spend a fair bit of money to get one faster for single cored applications than your current A64 4000(excluding overclocking here). In general I don't think SLi is worth it as single cards are less hassle and unless at very high resolutions quite capable.

If you want Nvidia then I'd probably just get a 7900gt at £250ish or 7900GTX at anywhere from about £380 to £500 depending on your budget.

Associate
OP
well some say the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra was a bad choice I

didn’t no if I should change it :confused:

I just read some good reviews on it at the time

Associate
I personally think it's a good board, I think that's the one I'm gonna get. :) SLi/X-fire is only worth bothering about IF you play games above 1600x1200 with AA/AF. What size monitor are you using?

Associate
Don't bother with SLI, You are way better to get just one really good graphics card like the 7800GTX 512mb + it costs less, you can always add another 7800GTX 512mb *** in like a year or somethin :p
The rest of your PC looks fine to me though :)
Just get a 7800GTX 512mb ! :)

Associate
Agreed, any dual gfx card setup is a clever marketing scam and a complete waste of money.

Look at it this way, gfx cards are updated every 6-9 months these days so 2 gfx cards will be out of date at the same time as a single one. You're better off saving your money and just upgrading the gfx card every 9-12 months.

Back
Top Bottom