New user with new build issues

Associate
Hello all.

I have just built a new computer and am having issues.

New build spec:

Case: Corsair 600t
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-PRO
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Cooler: Coolermaster V8
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
Hard drives: Corsair DDR3 SSD 120GB for programs and Western Digital 500GB HDD for files
PSU: Artic 600W which I carried over from my last build.

Setting all this up was relatively straight forward and very quick.

I used the Asus automatic overclock function and got to 4.4Ghz but when it ran a system stability test it failed. I then decided to scrap doing it automatically and set it up manually to run 4.5Ghz and when I put it through its paces on prime95 for a few hours all was well. I had the CPU core voltage set to 1.32 and I turned off everything within the BIOS to do with Intel speed step so it was running the full 4.5GHz constantly.

One thing I did notice in the BIOS was that the memory was only running at 1333MHz so I changed the setting and its now running at its full 1600MHz.

At these settings I could run high demanding programs and play games without any issues but when I was just browsing the internet I would suddenly get random crashes and the dreaded BSOD. It would do this roughly twice within about 6 hours and there didn't seem to be a repeat pattern. I thought there must be something wrong with my overclock so I upped the core voltage to 1.34 and I turned on everything to do with Intel speed step so now the CPU defaults to 1.6Ghz at idle then gets the full 4.5GHz when running more demanding programs. This has helped keep temperatures very low at idle (around 35-40 degrees) and makes the system very quiet. When running more demanding stuff the temperatures rise to no more than 65 degrees which I've read are good for this kind of overclock.

At first turning Intel speed step and upping the core voltage seemed to help with the system running good for an entire day with no crashes but another day later and the whole system has began to freeze. It doesn't crash and display the BSOD or anything like that now just everything freezes (keyboard, mouse etc) and it just sits like that not responing. Only way to get it back up and going again is to hit the reset button which seems to behave differently from time to time. Firstly it can either be non responsive for around 5 seconds before finally restarting the system and secondly it can be unresponsive for around 10 seconds and then everything just turns off and I have to use the power button to turn the system back on again.

Another odd thing it does too is sometimes it doesn't seem to boot up properly. Most of the time as soon as I press the power on switch the system works fine but at other times the fans will start up as normal and after about 5 seconds the whole system goes dead just as if it has turned off but then after a further 5 seconds it will turn on again all without any additional press of the power button and will proceed to boot up normally.

I am totally baffled as to why it does all of these things but the freezing is starting to annoy me. It has froze while I was listing my old motherboard and processor on eBay and I had to restart typing my listings again which was very annoying. The biggest thing that baffles me though is why it only seems to freeze when the whole thing is doing very little and not while playing games or running demanding programs.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated on this.

Oh and one other annoying gripe I have is with the Asus bluetooth driver which seems to reinstall itself to a different COM at nearly every boot up...its now on COM 23 and it started out as COM 1.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for the fast reply.

Yes I have but not for a long period of time.

I'm using graphics built into the motherboard at the moment.

I don't really understand that last part about the PSU lol How can I check that?

Thanks again :)

Soldato
try running at default speeds for a while and see if you get any issues, might be worth using the "set to default" option in the bios.

psu wise, if your lucky it will be on a label on the psu itself, if not post the make/model.

Associate
OP
Hello again and sorry for the late reply.

I took a picture of the label on the side of my PSU which can be seen below...

imag0082g.jpg

If its not the PSU then what else could cause this?

I done some more digging about and came across a discussion on the Corsair Vengeance memory like I'm using and it seems some people are having similar freezing problems/lock ups etc and they say upping the ram voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V seems to correct the problems. My fear is I've never ever done anything like that before and I'm pretty sure when I was picking my ram I checked the voltage spec of my motherboard and it stated 1.5V therefore I picked 1.5V ram and am worried upping the voltage past the motherboard spec might be asking for more problems.

Anyone heard of this before? I'll just go double check my motherboard spec for ram again just to be sure.

Associate
This looks similar to the symptoms a few people have been suffering with SSD hard drives, did you update it to the latest firmware before installing windows.
Also did you only have the SSD plugged in and set bios to ACPI before installing windows.

Associate
OP
This looks similar to the symptoms a few people have been suffering with SSD hard drives, did you update it to the latest firmware before installing windows.
Also did you only have the SSD plugged in and set bios to ACPI before installing windows.

No I never done any of that...just plugged everything in and installed windows to the SSD.

How does one update the firmware before installing windows? Is it possible to update the firmware for the SSD without having to reinstall windows?

Associate
OP
Hello. Just coming back with an update.

I have now updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS which has reset all settings to standard so its now not overclocked.

I done some digging around and found a discussion on the Corsair forums regarding the SSD and its very interesting as the problems being mentioned are virtually identical to mine but I found another thread regarding the memory where bad RAM can cause freeze/lock ups and everyone seemed to recommend running memtest86+ so I downloaded that and lot it run for several hours. Within 30 minutes it detected an error but I lot it run on and when I checked back it was showing 2 errors...picture can be seen below...

imag0084ez.jpg

I don't really know if this could be causing my problem or not but I guess that any kind of RAM error is not good so should I be looking to return it? It's 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

Any help greatly appreciated.

Soldato
So when the memory errors occurred, what's the memory running at?

In the picture it looks to be running at 1333, if this is the case and its getting errors like that under stock then that's not good..

Associate
OP
Yes your right my motherboard defaults it to 1333MHz and not the 1600MHz which it is. I do have the option to change it and have had it running 1600MHz along side my 4.5GHz overclock but everything has been defaulted to normal when I updated the BIOS.

Soldato
Yes your right my motherboard defaults it to 1333MHz and not the 1600MHz which it is. I do have the option to change it and have had it running 1600MHz along side my 4.5GHz overclock but everything has been defaulted to normal when I updated the BIOS.

Ok, so is the voltage right though for the memory? If not make sure that's right as it could even running under clocked be cussing the errors.

Soldato
Voltage is showing 1.5V which is right for my memory. Should I put it at 1600MHz and run memtest again leaving voltage at 1.5V?

If your getting errors at 1333MHz then I would only expect it to get worse at 1600MHz.

As its rated at 1600MHz might be worth doing it so at least if it errors more you can get it RMA'ed.

Personally however I would not be running that rig on that PSU, but I guess it should be ok with onboard graphics...

Associate
OP
I'll give it a try and see what happens and report back.

Yes I do plan on changing to a modular PSU and a proper graphics card...just have to wait to gather up more cash :(

Associate
OP
Well I changed it to 1600MHz and left voltage at the normal 1.5V and I still got 2 errors but I've noticed the numbers under GOOD and BAD have changed:

imag0086cy.jpg

Not too sure what this means but I'd hazard a guess that one of the RAM sticks is faulty and as it came in a set I'd have to send both back for replacement or change to another brand.

Associate
OP
Just another update...I ran memtest86+ again only this time with one RAM stick at a time and I ran it for 2 hours with each stick and I got no errors at all. What does this mean now? Faulty motherboard or something else?

Associate
OP
Ran memtest86+ again with the two sticks installed as single channel for 4 hours and I got 4 errors.

So just to recap if I run one stick in the motherboard at a time then I get no errors. If I run the two sticks as dual channel then I get 2 errors and if I run the two sticks as single channel then I get 4 errors.

Please help...I need to know what's wrong and what's bit or bits I need to return.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
I'm now starting to think everything is defective...I just got a BSOD while running Prime95 and several other programs:

BSOD with Kernal_data_inpage_error

Followed by black screen with Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device Or Insert Boot Media In Selected Boot Device And Press A Key

Only way to get past this is to reset and I entered the BIOS and my Corsair SSD is not detected and been replaced with "Boot Device 1 - Disabled in BBS Order"

Powered off the whole system and switched back on again and entered BIOS and the SSD is back. Load windows and everything seems to be normal now but I didn't get any message saying "this system has recovered from a serious error" so its as if it never even happened.

So what is the problem now? Up until now the system has only froze/locked up while pretty much idling such as watching a movie or browsing the internet but now its BSOD and the SSD is going AWOL in the BIOS.

Really need help on this one as I'm seriously tempted to return everything.

Back
Top Bottom