New VIVE Headstsap

Soldato
How would you know?

Like I said, mine is fine, so it could have just been a bad batch? But arranged another, it cost me nowt so rude not to.

True - the vive reddit seems to be where large numbers are confirming/denying it originally so was going to keep an eye out there as well.

Soldato
Got mine today used it for 5 minutes rubbed the foam at the back of the strap and it left black powdery residue on my finger, so will ask HTC for some new foam. The good news is that the strap itself is very comfortable it takes the pressure off your face. Not sure it's worth £99 though £50-£60 would be more like it.

Soldato
Got mine today used it for 5 minutes rubbed the foam at the back of the strap and it left black powdery residue on my finger, so will ask HTC for some new foam. The good news is that the strap itself is very comfortable it takes the pressure off your face. Not sure it's worth £99 though £50-£60 would be more like it.
Easy as pie fella.

-take a pic of the serial on your Vives box.
-download a copy or scan/snap of your invoice for the deluxe audio strap.
-go to live chat: https://www.vive.com/uk/support/contactus/

Tell them you need a replacement foam and upload those two documents.

Confirm your address.

A few days later you should have your new foam, its only velcroed on, a doddle to replace.

Associate
yes easy to adjust but you do that the once for yourself then thats it.

My housemate literally can't get the normal vive to fit on his head. He's either extremely incompetent or has a funny shaped head, I can't work it out.

Has it got stops that you can set it to? So I am 2 stops in and he is 3 stops in or whatever

Soldato
My housemate literally can't get the normal vive to fit on his head. He's either extremely incompetent or has a funny shaped head, I can't work it out.

Has it got stops that you can set it to? So I am 2 stops in and he is 3 stops in or whatever

It has a ratchet wheel for tightness on the back so doesn't have stops as such and a velcro strap on to to adjust the pressure between the cheekbones/forehead.

Associate
Got one for my birthday today. So much comfier than the original strap. Really like the convenience of the built in headphones too. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Associate
What is the mic like though?
Like GBRusty said, the mic is built into the Vive HMD so still the same and it is pretty poor tbh. I did make a DIY pop filter for it with a bit of sock and electrical tape, which does help a bit.
Personally, prior to the DAS, I've been using my gaming headset with mic built into that as the quality is like night and day. This does mean you need an extra USB cable going into the HMD though to make it work. Now I've got the DAS I'm going to use a Lav mic, as I need the extra quality for making videos.

Associate
Okay so after having the DAS for an evening I think it is definitely an improvement, but I still feel a bit of pressure on the front of my face and I would have hoped it translated literally around to the back or more evenly so its like a hat. I need to check my top strap length though, its the only adjustable bit that could make a difference.

I would still recommend it though! So quick to take on and off, and overall comfort is improved.

Associate
There is still pressure the front (there has to be, otherwise it would flop around), but it's more of an even pressure compared to the old strap, and not as much of it. Much much better IMO.

My only complaint would be the cable running to the side - it's become even more of an annoyance than before. I keep wondering what that is touching me on my shoulder. It also ends up considerably more twisted than the previous arrangement. Wireless...where are you??

Soldato
There is still pressure the front (there has to be, otherwise it would flop around), but it's more of an even pressure compared to the old strap, and not as much of it. Much much better IMO.

My only complaint would be the cable running to the side - it's become even more of an annoyance than before. I keep wondering what that is touching me on my shoulder. It also ends up considerably more twisted than the previous arrangement. Wireless...where are you??
Why are you not using the Velcro tie to centre it?

Looking to replace the Velcro with some sort of 3d printed guide, but never used a cad package before, maybe some Polymorph to shape one by hand.

Back
Top Bottom