New: Windows 10 Creators Update, any good ?

V F

V F

Soldato
just a word of warning, updated this evening and all seemed fine aside from the fact that no game would work, it caused the pc to lockup with a black screen and had to do hard reset each time. tried disabling gaming mode and dvr recording but still the same, spoke with MS and they advised to roll back.

This proves automatic forced updates is a spectacular success.

Soldato
In some ways I prefer this update, it feels leaner - however, as I usually do, I did remove as many apps as I could from my installation image. I polished this off in Powershell to be sure.

My bug bear at the moment is that most used apps don't show in the Start menu, despite having the option to do so enabled.

I also want to get rid of Windows Defender Security Centre completely.

Soldato
I noticed the blue light reduction feature so configured that as I've been using f.lux on my systems.

Didn't notice the control panel disappearing from the right click Start button but I tend to simply press the Windows key and type what I need and select from the context list anyway.

2 systems done so far and no issues though the 4 core passive PC did take a while having a fairly lowly Braswell CPU.

I've got a laptop to do while it's here whcih was really sow already so that may be fun.

Soldato
I've dabbled with windows 10 on/off for the last year or so trying it for a week or so at a time before deciding I bloody hate it and going back to windows 8.1. I'm giving it another try now, this time with windows update completely disabled and I think I might just be able to stick with it. At least nothing is happening without my consent now. No stupid new apps appearing on the start menu, my drivers aren't being updated when I'm busy, I'm saving bandwidth because I only have 4G internet with a small monthly allowance. I really think this is the way forward - sanity has been restored. :p

Associate
The Creators Update is affecting features in the Nvidia Control Panel but I am sure they will be resolved in time. Unless you have a poor pc I would disable all the crappy game mode stuff.

Soldato
On the first cold boot of the day after maybe 10-15 minutes I will start to lag in desktop, movies, games etc, no high CPU use, or GPU even pressing numlock slows to a snails pace, only way to fix it is to reset and then its fine.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
My time settings have been all wonky since the update. Just never seems to keep correct time anymore. Completely unreliable. Poor show.

Soldato
I hate how it updates when you're doing things. Or it starts to download if you check.

Yes. Windows Update Minitool should sort that for you - Useful Freeware Utilities

If you set it to Notification mode, you'll still get the notifications of updates, but instead of doing anything through Windows, you can open the Minitool and choose the updates you want, and hide the ones you don't, etc.

Back
Top Bottom