New Windows 11 build taking ages to open programs

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Hi all,

I recently did a big upgrade, from a i5 10400k to a R7 7800X3D. New RAM, new motherbord, new NVME SSD, new case etc. I also went from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Overall it went well, but I'm finding some programs are randomly taking quite a long time to load. For example, Word sometimes takes around 8 seconds to load, but sometimes opens instantly. I've had it open instantly, closed it, opened it again and it takes 8 seconds again. Same for VLC and Firefox. There doesn't seem to consistancy, sometimes its instant, sometimes it takes ages. When it takes ages, I notice the program in the tasks manager appear as soon as I click on it, its just like its waiting for something to happen before it opens. I've tried opening Notepad and Word one after another, nothing happens then suddenly 10ish seconds later they both open instantly.

I've benchmarked the SSD using CrystalMark, it seems to be getting reasonable speeds. I've also benchmarked the CPU and thats very fast, and the RAM is at 6000 CL30. I've tried disabling my antivirus which didn't make any difference, and also updated the AMD chipset drivers.

Not quite sure what is going on, as its sometimes taking a lot longer to open programs than my older system.

Many thanks for your help!

Are there any errors/warnings in event viewer?
Not as far as I can tell, tons of 'Information' but no Warnings.

Did you do a clean install of Windows on the new drive or clone your existing OS over?

So I slightly lied about the SSD, it was used briefly in my old system. But I formatted the primary partition it and did a clean install of Windows 11 in the Windows installation menu.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom