New winter cycling shoes required

Soldato
Hi folks

I live in Auckland, New Zealand (emigrated 13 years ago now) and our winters vary between 1 degree to currently a balmy 12 degrees in the morning but its pretty much going to be wet at some point.

I ride my 2022 Giant Fastroad e+ EX pro with split pedal face; 1 side is two bolt SPDs and the other side is flat with spikes. I'm looking for a versatile winter shoe that can tolerate both sides of the pedal as Auckland Traffic can be nasty and I often ride not clipped in until well away and on seperate paths. My current shoe is a shimano ME3 with an overshoe if its raining but when riding on the flat side its slippery due to the overshoe in the rain and 1/2 my journey is on road in rush hour on city roads with a volume of ~20-40k vehicles per day moving at equivalent to 35 mph.

so I guess I'm looking for an autumn/winter boot(?) that can do the following:

1) be fully waterproof without need a cover and can be covered by non-elastic commuter pants completely so no leeking down the edges in to my socks.
2) Operate with neoprene gaiters for heavy rain protection if riding in waterproof shorts as its often too warm to fully pant up
3) Be ok by themselves for light to med rain for short periods. Currently the ME3s get soaked quickly and leak.

Sole is important becuase of the flats. Currently the ME3s are ok when dry but not great so looking at something that may have more of a flat sole like the various Northwaves I have seen.

Currently I have looked at:

• Shimano ME701 (not the newer 702 due to the sole changes)
  • Fizik Artica X5 Winter MTB Shoes
  • Northwave X-Celsius Arctic GTX MTB Winter Shoes
And these look like they have good enough soles and the adaptability but I would value other peoples thoughts/comments as well especially on the parts above the shoe as, for example, the northwave reviews have suggested that this actually isn't waterproof at all.

Thanks,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom