New World MMO

Soldato
Has anyone got a good plan for server/company? Preferably UK and something that won't die within a week (looking at you OCUK).

Don't invest in anything run by someone here, last time someone tried to do one with WoW Classic it was a huge ****show.

I'm sure there are better suited recruitment forums on reddit and the official forums.

The problem is that he's locked into 1 view of what an MMO ought to be, and he's using that lens to judge New World. This is why in the video and the comments he's so focused on the number of abilities. This is all he knows and he can't break free of that mindset. So yes there's less total abilities that can be slotted for use in combat, but the combat also introduces other things that tab-target MMOs do not have, like the importance of position, aim, timing, dodging, stamina management etc. Abilities are only some fraction of the combat, something he focuses on to the exclusion of everything else. That's why his view on this is so myopic.

I don't see a problem with his opinion other than the fact that approx 20 hours invested into a new MMO simply isn't enough time to give a balanced and fair opinion.

To use an example of WoW, my first 20 hours in Durotar absolutely don't define my experience playing WoW in the past, there was way to much I didn't know.

Soldato
New World website said:
jump into New World's classless, real-time action combat system. As you progress you'll be able to determine what you want your gameplay experience to be like

So does this mean I can choose to play as a ranged archer with fiery arrows and AoE immolation skills and then switch to dual daggers with poison skills for when **** gets up close and personal?

Associate
I don't see a problem with his opinion other than the fact that approx 20 hours invested into a new MMO simply isn't enough time to give a balanced and fair opinion.

To use an example of WoW, my first 20 hours in Durotar absolutely don't define my experience playing WoW in the past, there was way to much I didn't know.

Sure, I mean it is just an initial impression video, so fair enough. But he has a list of specific complains most of which do not make sense. The game is different from what he's used to, but that doesn't make it worse, if you want to talk about combat being good or bad for example, you have to understand how it works before you can criticize it, and he's not made that effort. It would be like me picking up a street fighter game and then whining that the combat is too simple because I just keep mashing kick and then I get destroyed. It would be obvious that the problem is my lack of understanding of the mechanics.

Man of Honour
Having now played it, I have to say, its not for me. Background info - I've been playing MMOs since 1997, I've literally played every single major MMO ever released, mostly for multiple years, I consider the best MMOs ever to be AC1, EQ, UO and DAOC.

Now that is out of the way and you have a barometer by which to gauge my views. New World simply has too much lacking for me to rate it as an MMO, in fact I actually think it would have made a very good co-operative crafting/adventuring game, something along the lines of Conan Exiles/Ark/Atlas etc. For me, to be a good MMO, it needs way more skills/abilities, much better combat (get rid of the locked in animations, that would help a lot), more customisation of the character including a fleshed out dye system , more ways to make your character look unique rather than there being so many identical people running about. I really detest the chat system in New World (though the rest of the UI is good), I feel like the gameworld is too small (and funnily enough actually feels more like the size of the aforementioned Conan Exiles/Ark/Atlas) , however perhaps this is a limited size of map for the beta and the actual game will have a larger map. I'm not convinced that the PvP system of taking control of zones is going to work in practice and I suspect all that will happen is that people will swap sides to the dominant faction and that will kill off any real open PvP. Additionally I think they would be far better off having designated PvP/PvE servers rather than servers which people flag themselves for PvP or not. In my experiences servers that everyone is permanently flagged or not work much better.

On the decent side of things, the graphics are pretty good (though the animations arent), the crafting and resource gathering etc are very good and really do highlight why I think it would have made a better small scale co-operative crafting/adventuring game than an MMO.

I'm sure some people will like the game but its definitely not an MMO for me, it simply doesnt deliver on what I require in an MMO to be something that I would devote a good duration of time to playing and to be entirely honest my hunch is that it wont be long until the games playerbase is comparatively small when stacked against other MMOs

good (though the animations arent), the crafting and resource gathering etc are very good and really do highlight why I think it would have made a better small scale co-operative crafting/adventuring game than an MMO
Yes I agree.
I don't see the need to have 50 identical people around me in this game. There's no need for this to be an mmo.

Id rather this be a smaller online game to get rid of all the endless clones running around.

Man of Honour
Like valheim?

I'd have it slightly larger than Valheim, like I say, something in the Ark/Conan Exiles sort of player numbers and scale. I do very much like the resource gathering and crafting aspects of New World and I truly do think it would have made a really good multiplayer crafting/survival sort of game, where it fails (for me) is in the step up to an MMO. Only my view of course based upon what I've played of it so far but imo they've aimed at the wrong genre.

Soldato
Isn't that what it was originally meant to be, a complete sandbox where you're dumped on a beach in the 'New World' and left to survive and explore? Pretty sure I read something about how they completely changed it because the vocal minority 'woke brigade' started to bleat on about how it glorified the Spanish's escapades when they conquered S. America.

What we've got now us a dumbed down MMORPGlite.

Soldato
Isn't that what it was originally meant to be, a complete sandbox where you're dumped on a beach in the 'New World' and left to survive and explore? Pretty sure I read something about how they completely changed it because the vocal minority 'woke brigade' started to bleat on about how it glorified the Spanish's escapades when they conquered S. America.

What we've got now us a dumbed down MMORPGlite.
Yea it was lol

Man of Honour
That makes a lot of sense really, they should have stuck with that plan rather than go the MMO route. A fully featured multiplayer crafting/survival game would have been a better option than a part featured MMO imo.

Associate
Think this would be OK for super casual gamer?

Rarely get much time to play these days but dont' mind dipping in when it's fun, can't spend 4-6 hours playing weekdays like I did back in DAOC/WOW :D

I had just found the Phoenix DAoC freeshard and today they announce it's being shutdown on the 31st (essentially because of New World)......there's some elements of DAoC in New World so perhaps the devs have learned that 4+ hour raids aren't the best of things...

For a one time £35 New World looks worth I shot I guess (eyeing up the PvP stuff)....spent more than that on lunch the other day.

Soldato
I had just found the Phoenix DAoC freeshard and today they announce it's being shutdown on the 31st (essentially because of New World)......there's some elements of DAoC in New World so perhaps the devs have learned that 4+ hour raids aren't the best of things...

For a one time £35 New World looks worth I shot I guess (eyeing up the PvP stuff)....spent more than that on lunch the other day.

Ouch! loved DAOC back in the day, not got that same length of time to play these days sadly!

Soldato
Mack got seriously addicted to World of Warcraft for years after his Mack and Mesh videos, it's a little bit hard to take this as a balanced first impression when he was talking about how it wasn't WoW with 20 abilities and the combat being different to what he liked.

For a fair MMO review you really need to play to whole game and try some of the end game content, you need to give the systems in New World a fair chance.

Sure if your review is suppose to be about the whole game. I haven't seen said review, nor played New World so my comment should be taken in the context of MMOs in general. However, I certainly see some value of the reviews or impressions that covers the beginning and mid game of an MMO. So many times we have been promised a proper end game while the beginning and mid of an MMO just plain sucked or was long and boring. Then when it was time for end game and nothing, or the promise of more was never delivered upon. To me the statement: "Just wait until endgame" is an instant red flag. If the game's systems fail during the beginning of it then its rubbish IMHO. I want to have fun all the way through a game no matter if it's a single player title or an MMO.[/QUOTE]

Soldato
Sure if your review is suppose to be about the whole game. I haven't seen said review, nor played New World so my comment should be taken in the context of MMOs in general.

Given how small the beta is the only thing people can talk about right now is a first impression. My comment was making clear that until release and seeing what the full game has on offer none of us can judge the depth of an MMO on 17 hours of playtime and shouldn't base a purchasing decision around it. Given that you can purchase the beta on Steam and refund any time prior to release, if anyone is seriously considering investing the amount of time needed into an MMO then it would be wise to use this opportunity and play it for yourselves.

If you want to base your decision on Macks opinion that's up to you or anyone else. I don't really understand your upset or red flags about other MMOs and what they have or haven't promised since this thread is about New World and as far as I'm personally aware, there aren't any promises of grandeur.

Soldato
Given how small the beta is the only thing people can talk about right now is a first impression. My comment was making clear that until release and seeing what the full game has on offer none of us can judge the depth of an MMO on 17 hours of playtime and shouldn't base a purchasing decision around it. Given that you can purchase the beta on Steam and refund any time prior to release, if anyone is seriously considering investing the amount of time needed into an MMO then it would be wise to use this opportunity and play it for yourselves.

If you want to base your decision on Macks opinion that's up to you or anyone else. I don't really understand your upset or red flags about other MMOs and what they have or haven't promised since this thread is about New World and as far as I'm personally aware, there aren't any promises of grandeur.

Maybe you should reread what I wrote :) I don't know who Mack is or what he/she does nor have I seen the review or whatever this person has posted. So how can I base my opinion around it? I was talking about MMOs in general and how the same statement is always said and how I take issue with that statement, a statement that I'm sure will be used with New World as well. My point stands, boring early game is bad. A dull journey will make the destination a lot less exciting even if it is good due to early fatique. Now I know nothing about the game New World, I have no opinion towards the game nor any of the content from youtubers covering it... I hope I have contextualized things enough :). But since New World is an MMO it has the very same pitfalls to avoid as all the MMOs before it therefor talking about previous made mistakes is certainly justified I believe.

Soldato
Maybe you should reread what I wrote :) I don't know who Mack is or what he/she does nor have I seen the review or whatever this person has posted. So how can I base my opinion around it? I was talking about MMOs in general and how the same statement is always said and how I take issue with that statement, a statement that I'm sure will be used with New World as well. My point stands, boring early game is bad. A dull journey will make the destination a lot less exciting even if it is good due to early fatique. Now I know nothing about the game New World, I have no opinion towards the game nor any of the content from youtubers covering it... I hope I have contextualized things enough :). But since New World is an MMO it has the very same pitfalls to avoid as all the MMOs before it therefor talking about previous made mistakes is certainly justified I believe.

OK, so let me try and understand you better.

You've clicked into a thread discussing New World
You didn't read the 13 posts on this page discussing Macks' video
You haven't played the New World beta
You've not looked into New World in any meaningful way to discuss the game in some detail

But

You took issue with my earlier post
You didn't like that I said "you really need to play the whole game and try some of the end game content, you need to give the systems in New World a fair chance."
You didn't understand that my comment was in response to some of Macks' opinions when comparing it to WoW, in particular combat.
You wanted to tell me that a content creators first impression video offers value to you.

Then

You told me despite valuing a content creators opinion, you didn't watch Macks video on New World.
You told me that my opinion (belief) was now a statement (fact)
You told me my statement "Just wait until endgame" is an instant red flag. Despite me never saying that.
You told me that my opinion is a statement that "everybody else" says.
You reinforced your opinion (or are they statements? points? factfinding mission??) on previous MMOs in "general" and how "other MMOs" promised you something you feel you didn't get.
You concluded this by telling me "your point stands"

Finally

You told me to reread your previous post in a thread that you didn't read the posts about a topic discussing a video that you didn't watch about a game you have no idea about.

I hope I've understood you better. Great talk btw.

Man of Honour
Played it a bit more, it actually started to grow on me and then I sort of peaked, the more I played the more repetitive it became. I was doing the exact same quest over and over. Did a bunch of the faction quests but they were go here, kill 3 sheep (which took like 30 mins to kill 3 because there were hardly any spawning), go here kill 7 zombie guys, come back, go back there kill another 3 sheep, come back, go over there again and kill another 5 zombie guys and pick up 3 boxes. Come back, go back to the same spot again and pick up another 3 boxes. They will need much more variety in the quests than that otherwise people will be bored after 4 weeks of doing those. Its not just the quest variety, I mean that sort of quest does tend to be a staple in the genre, its more that it was not only the same quest but in the exact same location, so it was literally an exact repeat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom