Newbie Build Question

Permabanned
First time building a PC.

I've plugged in the smaller power connector but I've haven't got a power connector which fits the larger plug at the bottom of the motherboard indicated on the picture. Do I need it? Or have I bought the wrong case?

I've got this case (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Arctic_Cooling.html) And an Asus A8N5X nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

ogw9cw.jpg

You mean you haven't got the 24 pin connector? If so you can get an adapter that plugs into your existing 20pin connector which ends in a 24 pin plug. If you can't get one of those you will have to buy a PSU with a 24 pin ATX connector.

ACPCUP said:
You mean you haven't got the 24 pin connector? If so you can get an adapter that plugs into your existing 20pin connector which ends in a 24 pin plug. If you can't get one of those you will have to buy a PSU with a 24 pin ATX connector.

Cheers, will try my local PC shop later or try William's suggestion.

williamw11 said:
20 pin connector can still be used. Try before buying a new psu.

Maybe so but the 24 pin socket is there for a reason. I would much rather put a 24 pin connector in it as it was designed for. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dutch Guy said:
A 20pin > 24pin connector does nothing else but split the cables over 24 pins, the 20pin connector should fit leaving 4 pins free.

True, but he would probably be better off getting a new PSU. As he has a new Mobo it makes sense to get an up-to-date PSU.

ACPCUP said:
True, but he would probably be better off getting a new PSU. As he has a new Mobo it makes sense to get an up-to-date PSU.
I have a 18 month old Enermax PSU with a 20pin connector that is still good enough for my current system, I got a convertor to 24 pin because it's easiest and costs very little.

It all depends on the PSU and if noob's PSU is fairly new it will be good enough for the system

noob said:
A new PSU it's brand new. I'll just get a connector because the 20 pin doesn't fit in the 24 pin.
I've got exactly the same situation. 20 pin from PSU 24 pin on mobo, just plug in the 20 leaving the 4 at the end free (just match up the correct ends using the info in your mobo manual) you don't need a convertor at all. I've got a perfectly stable system leaving the 4 pins unused.

Blackstar_solar said:
I've got exactly the same situation. 20 pin from PSU 24 pin on mobo, just plug in the 20 leaving the 4 at the end free (just match up the correct ends using the info in your mobo manual) you don't need a convertor at all. I've got a perfectly stable system leaving the 4 pins unused.

Do what he says ,you dont need a converter as the 20-pin plug will still fit into the 24 pin socket and will work fine

Back
Top Bottom