Newbie building a new gaming PC - 7800X3D and RTX 4070 SUPER

Associate
Hi,

I have zero clue about parts, but I'm building a new PC, since my current setup is very outdated and I feel like upgrading.
The PC is for gaming, specifically thinking of Space Marine 2.
I don't have a specific budget in mind, just trying to pick sensible parts without too much overkill.

Here's how I'm looking right now:
The above is £1,720 (I was initially thinking of a budget closer to £1.5k to be honest).

I'm really unsure about the RAM, Discs, PSU and Cooler.
RAM I found myself, but Discs, PSU and Cooler were advised by Overclockers support.
I also picked my GPU, and I'm really unsure if that's the right model for me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome.

Drop the expensesive m2 drives and get theese

Also take a look at thermalright frozen prism aio coolers which are great value.

This should bring you closer to your £1500 budget.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

Drop the expensesive m2 drives and get theese

Also take a look at thermalright frozen prism aio coolers which are great value.

This should bring you closer to your £1500 budget.
Do you know if these 2 drives have DRAM cache or are they DRAMless?

Thanks for the help so far!
This is how I'm looking for now:
What do you guys think about the power supply and cooler?

What do you guys think about the power supply and cooler?
They're both overkill, but fine.

I'd look at the TUF Gold 850 for £100, is on pre-order though.

For CPU: freezer 36 for £23, which is also on pre-order.

I'd prefer a 4070 Super to be under £550. What is the size (resolution) of your monitor?

Any chance you know if there's usually a long wait on pre-ordered items? I can't find any info about when would these dispatch so unsure if it's days, weeks, or months.

I've got 1080p monitor right now, but might change to a higher resolution in the long run.

Any chance you know if there's usually a long wait on pre-ordered items? I can't find any info about when would these dispatch so unsure if it's days, weeks, or months.
I'm afraid not, only OCUK could tell you that. My guess would be that the cooler is likely to return to stock faster than the PSU, but you are free to shop around if this is a self build.

I'd probably swap out the AIO for an arctic freezer ii 360 or a thermalright 360, not only are they cheaper but EK may not be in business for much longer so could be an issue should warranty be required.

a 1000w platinum rated psu with 10yrs warranty(made by seasonic I believe) for £128...might be overkill but at that price I'd still take it. You'll upgrade at some point and it'd power a much stronger gpu, and with that warranty, it'll be one of the parts you take with you when you upgrade

a 1000w platinum rated psu with 10yrs warranty(made by seasonic I believe) for £128...might be overkill but at that price I'd still take it. You'll upgrade at some point and it'd power a much stronger gpu, and with that warranty, it'll be one of the parts you take with you when you upgrade
Unfortunately, it appears the updated AMP series is no longer made by Seasonic and the warranty has been cut by 2 years. I think it is still decent, but no reputable reviews out yet, that I've seen.

Thank you everyone for all the valuable advice!

I'm ordering everything but the SDD, as I'm still making sure that the advised WD Black SN770 1TB and 2TB are the best choice for me.

Thank you everyone for all the valuable advice!

I'm ordering everything but the SDD, as I'm still making sure that the advised WD Black SN770 1TB and 2TB are the best choice for me.
They will work fine.

If you want a fast yet fairly well priced SSD, im a big fan of the SN850X (I own two of the 2tb versions) as it’s a little bit more expensive than the midrange SSDs but still very very fast and have a DRAM cache.

I do agree in not buying a 990Pro as it’s not that much faster than the SN850X and much more expensive (last time I checked)

Edit: the SN850x is significantly more expensive than the SN770 now so I can’t recommend it as it’ll have no real performance improvement in the real world

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you want the fastest NVME for gaming the Sk Hynix Platinum, unfortunately OcUK doesn't sell, top my tests in the real world, but it is barely noticeable vs the 990 Pro or SN850X i.e. like 19.5 vs 20 seconds on map loading time.

If you want faster drives, below are some options if you're only loking at OCuk

the nm790 1tb i put in as the OS drive. It's dramless but if you look at reviews the sustained write speed is better than a lot of dram drives, and read/write is 7400/6500 with a 1000TBW endurance, which is pretty impressive for a 1tb drive. the 2tb drive if you search can be had for £117, and the 4tb drive can be had for £217...and the 1tb was down at £59 recently, but haven't seen it there at present but haven't done a big search

for dram drives the teamgroup g70 pro has a read write 7400/6800 with endurance of 1480TBW and the kingston fury is 7300/7000 with 2000TBW endurance...at these speeds your at the limit really of pcie4
the sn850X that @JollyJamma mentioned is £159.95 on OCuk at the mo and has a read/write of 7300/6600 with a 1200TBW endurance, and is what I also have in my rig. the g70 and renegade fury drives are just newer and at present cheaper...the sn850x was down at £134 recently, anf I agree, I wouldn't be paying £159 for it at mo with cheaper alternatives giving same performance
...the's also tha data S70 blade drive to look at, last i saw was £120 odd...buyt run out of time(need to get to work) to look..need to search again for spec as not sold by ocuk
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £354.92 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Unfortunately, it appears the updated AMP series is no longer made by Seasonic and the warranty has been cut by 2 years. I think it is still decent, but no reputable reviews out yet, that I've seen.
nice catch...did a quick search and after your post actually went to source...wha happenned to the days when the storefronts used to tell you the warranty in the bloomin' description. It's getting to point if it doesn't say you have to be immediately wary that's it's not 10yrs or more..some of the cheaper msi ones come to mind also...not even on their own website do they mention it

Just to add to the discussion, you don’t need a PCI-e 5.0 SSD.

Absolute data rate for an SSD isn’t that useful unless you’re moving a large amounts of data around every day.

Your games might load slightly faster but not by much and PCI-e 5.0 isn’t as “future proof” as people make out.

Back
Top Bottom