Newbie needs advice connecting graphics card

Associate
Hi,

I've just bought an EVGA 1060 SC and realise that it needs power! :o
My previous 750 Ti didnt, so I didnt prepare for this.

I'm at a loss as my PC seems pretty sparse in terms of spare wires.
Hopefully these images give you an idea:

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4960#ov

The PSU is:
FSP Aurum AU-500FL Xilenser 500W FL Fanless Modular PSU, 80+ Gold
http://fsp-europe.com/aurum-xilenser-400w500w/

Should I buy a cable that could fit in the PSU and connect to that cable in the pic that came with the graphics card - 6 pin to molex?

Presumably its one of these I need?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cables-and-adapters/internal/power

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find the box it came in.

Is there any way I can buy a spare suitable cable - are they all specific to PSU?

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
@lee32uk I cant use that as whilst one end fits in the video card fine, the other (molex?) ends arent long enough to go anywhere, and I cant see anything to plug them into anyway.

@new_boy It sounds like unless I cant find a verified PSU cable specifically for my PSU I'm going to need a whole new PSU to be safe? I guess I could email the manufacturer?

Associate
OP
@Quartz
Thanks very much for that advice.
I just called, and whilst they were very helpful they simply dont have any spare cables that I need to connect the PSU to the video card. Otherwise they said they would send me one.

Its looking like I would need a new PSU which would be a very expensive route.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much guys.

@terley - Yes, its a silent PC. (unless I swap the 750 Ti Kalmx for the 1060 SC!)

@Quartz - I guess I mean its expensive if I replace with a similar silent PSU that I have now. I'm thinking I'll just have to battle on with the 750Ti until the whole PC could do with an update.

@lee32uk - Yes, that sounds good, but I cant see a single spare molex coming out of the PSU, just the empty VGA slot, and the unmarked one at the top.
http://fsp-europe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/aurum_xilenser_3d_view.png

@Kurgen - Are you saying I should get a £40 PSU - that could be an option but would probably cancel out my silent PC.

If this doesnt work out, I have an unused EVGA 1060 SC for a bargain price guys :)

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the advice. At the weekend I'm going to rip the place apart to make sure I dont have that cable that came with the PSU anywhere.

@new_boy - I think my best bet may be to see if I can find an existing cable that has an unused molex as you say. Thats not a bad idea about buying another PSU and reselling it - it may well come to that.

@lee32uk - I'll re-check tomorrow night when I have the case off and make a video and see if anyone can help determine what the cabling situation is. Annoyingly/Usefully its really tidy in there and it makes access pretty difficult.
For reference, in the PC it has 1x SSD, 1x HDD, 1xDVDROM, 1x GUP Japan Smart Drive Classic SATA HDD Silencer.

@Quartz - I'll definitely be digging this weekend. I have just had an email back from the PC supplier who have said that they would be willing to ask FSP themselves for a spare if I cant find it anywhere, so glimmer of hope there as well.

Associate
OP
Success!!!!! :D :D

I found the box under the shirts at the bottom of the second wardrobe. Obviously.
Thanks for the all the help given here, it made me persevere!

So..., now I have the cables, just want to make sure I dont screw it up.

The cable that came with the graphics card had a 6 pin and 2 molex, so I could plug the 6pin cable from the box in the SATA 6pin port on the PSU and connect the 2 molex cables that way?
I'd assume thats wrong though, as that 2x 6pin marked VGA1/VGA2 sounds like its purpose is for graphics cards, so I'd plug that longer cable in the last pic above into the PSU, and the other end straight into the graphics card avoiding molex altogether?

Even though 1 end of that cable has 2 6pins marked PCI-E1 I guess I can use either of those to go straight into the card?

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Its silent again! :D

The firmware update worked well. Would you recommend I download software to set a profile for the fan, or just let it crack on and manage itself? As long as the fan hasnt fixed itself at "off" or anything I may just leave it.

Associate
OP
I just played World of Warcraft for about an hour, and I noticed when I took my headphones off I could hear the fan. I quickly ran CPUID HWMonitor and it showed that the 1060 fan was about 900 RPM and the temp about 75 or so, but it quickly dropped back to 56 and was silent again.

Back
Top Bottom