NEWBIE Q: Should I be looking to overclock as a rule?

Associate
I have just bought my son a new PC. I worked out the spec from some other PC's on sale and had a local shop build it for me. I wish I knew how to do this but that is another issue altogether. The spec is included at the bottom of this post. I thought it would be an all singing all dancing machine but my son was a little disappointed at it performance on "Rust" which I am guessing is a hungry game. I have looked through all sorts of overclocking forums and to be honest, most it is was beyond me. However, am I doing my son a disservice by not looking at fully overclocking the system?
Spec:
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Octa-core
16GB DDR4 3200MHz Patriot Viper
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 8GB
Motherboard - Gigabyte B360 1151 ATX
PSU - Cronus 800W 80 PLUS Bronze
HDD + SSD

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the comments. It has left me a bit ****** off and penning an email! Could you suggest a good but reasonably priced PSU? I will try to get the motherboard upgraded too to a Z370 as suggested.
I am looking maybe at Gigabyte Aorus Z370 and a Corsair RM750x. Does that sound a bit better? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I specified the big ticket items like processor and graphics card and amount and type of RAM, plus the fact that I wanted an SSD and an HDD. Beyond that I didn't really think about the motherboard and the PSU. £1000? Jokes on me then at £1600!! Plus another £250 now I guess to get it up to spec... On top of the Hyperx keyboard and headphones and the ACER predator monitor...

Associate
OP
The spec is at the top of the thread. I am not so much feeling aggrieved at being ripped off as like you say, some of the bits were quite costly. I am, however, unhappy that the obvious shortfalls of some of the components wasn't highlighted - surely it is wrong to build a PC for someone that can't support the spec of the best components. In that regard, as a newbie, I do feel ripped off as this is gonna be a pain to resolve! I can't thank you all enough for your advice on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom