Newbie seeks watercooling advice

Associate
Hello all

I've just begun a new build project. Currently ordering the parts in. Pretty much know what I want apart from the watering cooling components. I keep going back & forth between getting a water cooling kit or purchasing the parts separately. This will be my first attempt at installing water cooling myself. I will be using the Thermaltake 900 case which is huge. One thing I know is I will be opting for soft tubing as my research suggests hard tubing takes a lot more time, skills, & tools which I am short on.

At the moment I will only need to water cool the CPU but will probably venture to cooling graphics card later next year when Volta arrives.

So first question is, do you advise a cooling kit or sourcing the components separately from different brands or separately from the same brand ?

Secondly, if sourcing separately, is there any sure way to know the parts will be compatible ? say mixing different brand radiators with pump/reservoirs, etc ?

Thirdly, could anybody possible list exactly what I would need for a successful CPU cooling system so not to miss anything out ?

Fourthly, any recommendations on a custom branded setup ?

My budget for the cooling system will be around £300, may be able to split pennies if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

£300 is plenty for a CPU, which board/processor do you have? I would go separates as the kit can usually just be priced up as parts for less. The pressing questions I suppose is why go custom for just the CPU over a good AIO which would be £100 odd... up to you, can change later if you like.

You would need a res/pump combo might be an idea, chosen CPU block, radiator, tubing, fluid and fittings. Drain port advisable. Personally I would stick with one brand to ensure compatibility, EK is a good safe bet and in budget. Be aware of the new gaming kits that are aluminium not to be mixed with other parts. If the case is big go chunky tubing not the smaller width as it will look more fitting.

Good question Smffy. I suppose after buying the Thermaltake 900 case I got carried away looking at all the amazing custom water cooling setups people had. I mean wow they look great in the 900. So my plan is to water cool the CPU at first. I already have the Radeon R9 295x2 which has it's own water cooling feature. I plan to transplant this card to my new build for now. I may then upgrade my video card next year & add custom water cooling to it.

The mobo I'm using is Asus Rampage VI extreme & I've just ordered an i9 7980EX. My credit card has well & truly been murdered but I will deal with that in 2018.

So I should stay away from any aluminium parts when buying cooling components. Good to know cheers.

I was looking at the - Glacier C350i CPU block/ D5 Photon Reservoir/Pump Combo, but now I'm scared so I may stick to the same brand to avoid incompatibility issues like you suggest. I shall check out what EK are offering. Hopefully they have some nice big reservoirs for my 900.

Another quick question. As far as thermal paste goes, what's a gud'un these days. Artic silver or MX maybe ?

Thanks for the input of help mate, appreciated.

So I should stay away from any aluminium parts when buying cooling components. Good to know cheers.

I was looking at the - Glacier C350i CPU block/ D5 Photon Reservoir/Pump Combo, but now I'm scared so I may stick to the same brand to avoid incompatibility issues like you suggest. I shall check out what EK are offering. Hopefully they have some nice big reservoirs for my 900.

Another quick question. As far as thermal paste goes, what's a gud'un these days. Artic silver or MX maybe ?

Thanks for the input of help mate, appreciated.

Well I’ve gone pretty extreme myself so don’t blame you, why not go custom it’s a good learning experience.

I should have been more specific on the same brand thing - things all have a G 1/4 thread it’s mainly the fittings and tube to watch out for. Have a look at the radiator roundup on extremerigs - specifically the charts to compare:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/

I’ve personally got some HWLabs SR2s and they are very good rads - guess for now 240mm is a good Start for your CPU but 360mm might as well and better cooling - biggest you can fit really for future expansion. Have you thought about a monoblock? Would recommend as excellent VRM cooling and in vanity terms they look spot on... EKWB monoblock and then just pair fitting brand with tubing brand to match.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is believed by most to be the best "normal" paste at the moment.

+1 for Kryo

Last edited:
Excellent, I'll grab myself some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

I will check that link out right now. Going by the size of my case I should be able to house some big rads. Thanks for some more good advice.

Oh man. I'm finding it even harder now. Been looking at pump/reservoir combo's. I like the idea of adding some lighting/RGB effects to the setup.

What are your opinions on :
Enermax NEOChanger 300ml RGB LED Reservoir and Pump Kits with Remote Control
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Pacific PR22-D5 Plus Reservoir/Pump Combo

Or perhaps you have some better suggestions. This is definitely the hardest part of pc picking.

Last edited:
Oh man. I'm finding it even harder now. Been looking at pump/reservoir combo's. I like the idea of adding some lighting/RGB effects to the setup.

What are your opinions on :
Enermax NEOChanger 300ml RGB LED Reservoir and Pump Kits with Remote Control
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Pacific PR22-D5 Plus Reservoir/Pump Combo

Or perhaps you have some better suggestions. This is definitely the hardest part of pc picking.

So I would say don’t lose sight of the budget now and long term plan, that case is a show case and big (just looked).

What id say is avoid the RGB unknowns and stick to something clear and clean, the case design is to highlight what’s inside and I think will generally be more future facing and better looking if you separate lighting from cooling - you can always light with LEDs. I would either go with an EK combo or the alphacool Eisbecher - both clean looking... you have ample space so suggest tall res for looks.

I am a big fan of monoblocks so my preference would be roughly £120 on combo res, £90~ on monoblock and then £100+ rad, pennies on fittings and tube. Ultimately next upgrade can be cheaper with the bulk of components sorted.

I know you listed a budget but I always think given the cost of what you are cooling please do write off that £100 extra on cooling because you’d hate to be sat there after looking anything less that smiling from ear to ear at your machine. Don’t forget with custom loops when you’ve got the rads and that in you’re just swapping blocks moving forwards...

P.s hardlines not as bad as you think if you want to try it...

My loops made up of a jumble of stuff I could pick up cheap 2nd hand stuck in a case with no window. Works well for me lol. Probably cost me about £100 all together.

My only regret is using high FPI radiators because I saw them cheap in the MM.

Picking a case with no window is the best decision I've ever made.

Hardline still feels like a big leap into the unknown for me considering the task I've already given myself. Maybe a thought for the future. Well I've taken onboard some of your advice Smffy, but I admit I've turned in opposite directions for the glory of glitz & glamour. I could not resist the shiny shiny. I've kind of gone overkill reckless myself new boy. This will be my last big spend before I have to suck it up for the rest of the year & live like a peasant, but surf like a digital king (if I don't botch it up)

I've been making a note on the build as I've ordered parts. Hopefully most will arrive before the weekend so I can begin. I will share my notes, you may be able to see if I've forgotten any parts.

Case - Thermaltake Tower 900 E-ATX Case with Tempered Glass - £201.60 + Delivery = £205.08
Motherboard - Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme - £563.99 + Delivery = £575.48
Psu - 1600W EVGA SuperNOVA T2, Full Modular, 80PLUS Titanium = £439.49
Cpu - Intel Core i9 7980XE Extreme - £1763.48 + Delivery = £1765.71
Ram - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 4000mhz - £550.99 + Delivery = £553.22
Fan - Corsair 120mm HD120 RGB LED, 9 Blade, PWM, Static Pressure 12 LED Multi-Colour Fan Triple Pack with Controller - £74.99 + Delivery = £80.47
SSD - Pending

WATER COOLING

Reservoir/pump combo - Enermax NEOChanger 300ml RGB LED with Remote Control - £91 + delivery = £96.99
Monoblock - EK Water Blocks EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel = £104.99
Radiator - EK Water Blocks EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple) = 97.99
Tubing - Mayhems Ultra Clear Watercooling Tubing (3/8 - 5/8) 16/10mm - 1m x3 = £7.35
Sensor - XSPC LCD Temperature Sensor (Blue) V3 + G1/4" Inline Sensor = £9.95
Compression fittings - XSPC G1/4" to 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting (Black Chrome) V2 x14 = £52.69
Valve - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G14 - Black Nickel = £14.99
Plug cap - EK Water Blocks EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 (for EK-Badge) - Nickel = £2.99
Y splitter - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Y-Splitter Rotary 2F-1M G1/4 - Black Nickel = £7.99
T splitter - EK Water Blocks EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Black Nickel = £7.49
Angle fitting - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Angled 90 Degrees G1 / 4 inch - Black nickel x2 = £11.98
Angle fitting - EK Water Blocks EK-AF Angled 45° G1/4 Black Nickel = £4.99

SUBSTANCE & TOOLS

Thermal paste - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 5.5g / 1.5 ml = £13.49
Cutters - XSPC Heavy Duty Hose Cutter (0-25mm) = £6.95
Coolant - XSPC EC6 Coolant Blue UV 1L x2 = £17.98
Distilled water - Mayhems Ultra Pure H2O 5Ltr = £14.99
Duster - CompuCleaner Electric Air Duster = £35.00
Screw driver - ORIA 60 in 1 Magnetic Screwdriver Set = £10.99
Brush - AKORD 3-in-1 Plastic Round Handle Anti Static ESD Brush - Black = £10.03

+ 19 items - Delivery = £26.95

Yeah I guess I am. Don't say the total cost out loud though or it feels real :eek:

Thing is, at the moment I will only have need to watercool the cpu. Which I'm using a monoblock to do. So I think a 360 rad will be ample. The EK CoolStream XE 360 seems to have gotten a good review from the link smffy gave me on extremerigs.net.
The Thermaltake 900 offers plenty space to fit another rad if wished in the future, on the opposite side of the case. At the moment I will continue to use my R9 295x2 card which has fitted watercooling as standard. Once my debts are paid of in the future of 2055, I can think about a new card-watercooled with another loop for the sake of eye candy. Or my rig will just look a mess. 45% confident on this build.

295x2 is the newest hardware I have in my current rig. Buying a new card now is just not worth it for such a small upgrade (compared to buying a newer single gpu card) I left the card out of the budget for a reason. NVidia's Volta range is suppose to be out early this year. That's the time to grab a new one. Bigger performance upgrade which I can justify then. The card can wait. I need the cpu more than anything for my music producing projects.

Back
Top Bottom