Soldato
The "head first" ones are usually a good starting point but its worth just googling around for free stuff online first. There are loads of tutorials out there.

If this is for work, it might be worth getting your employer to pay for a subscription to safari books online. Mine does this and its probably the smartest thing they've ever done. We have access to thousands of books on all sorts of development topics.

Associate
OP
Thanks Peter. It's not for work, it's for when I've no access to a computer ect and have abit of spare time hence why I could do with a book. I've checked out the sticky for the free online resources so suppose I could print some off. Anyway thanks for the recommendation and I'll check them out

Soldato
You will probably learn more from trying things out whilst you are reading the books. html and css are very visual and there's nothing like seeing a result immediately to help you absorb the material.

Some people are capable of learning straight from a book but in my experience that is rare.

Associate
OP
Ye that's me all over, I learn a lot better doing practical stuff. I am subscribed to team treehouse which I like a lot and picked up a fair bit from in the short time I've been on it.

Associate
I would always thoroughly recommend the 'hands-on' approach, as Peter stated.

Bootstrap is a great framework to get into once you have a basic knowledge of how HTML & CSS works. Readily available tools like: http://www.layoutit.com then allow you to add in elements to the framework, which you can tweak and alter to your hearts content. Sites like this make things easily understandable, in my experience.

Associate
codecademy.com is your best first port of call. Its super easy to use, really informative and lets you work at your own pace.

It then offers you additional learning into other areas such as;

Javascript
jQuery
Python
Ruby
PHP

It really helped me out no end. Also, a good book to look at is HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites by Jon Duckett. Really clear and up to date, so another +1 for hands on.

Associate
Team treehouse is better than code academy. I've tried both and have been on treehouse for 18 months. I've learnt masses in the first 3 months of been on there to the point where I'm now a mod on their forums and earn a good salary from freelancing. Good luck to you and keep at it.

Associate
Treehouse is good, but can't really compete with Codeacademy's pricing. Given that Mr H8tt3r has used both and found Treehouse to be better, it might be worth signing up to a month of Treehouse, and then trying out Codeacademy as well to see which you prefer.

Either way, both of those are awesome choices to get you started :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes I'm already on treehouse and find it very easy to use and I feel I'm progressing fairly quick from their site so I would recommend them to anyone. Maybe I will check out codeacademy. Is there a free trial?

Soldato

+1

I have those books and they are brilliant. They have helped me out so much.

They are really simple to use and a great "reference" book showing everything in a visual way rather than reams of code and explanations about why they work and how they work. I have found the JQuery book brilliant and it has really helped with my previous lack of JavaScript knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom