Poll: Newby ghost photo - ever proved a fake?

Do you think the Newby Ghost photo is real or fake?

• Real

• Fake

Results are only viewable after voting.
Associate
One of the most famous 'ghost' photos ever. Taken by the Rev Lord at Newby church in Yorkshire in the 60's. He was taking a photo of the altar and was adamant there was nothing there. However when developed a ghostly monk like figure appeared.

ghostmonk.jpg

I remember first seeing it on Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious World, it really creeped me out. I know a lot of the most famous photos have been debunked, but as far as I know nobody has ever proven this one to be a fake. Or have they?

Associate
OP
I don't see that at all, if you're looking where I think you're looking, that line is the edge of the concrete (or whatever it is) on the step.

Look in the full picture and it's a lot clearer and you see it on the otherside of the step.

I agree about the height though, looks like it's about 8 feet tall =/

There was some analysis done on this photo (can't find it I'm afraid) which calculated the height of the figure to be nearer 10 feet.

Associate
OP
Here are two more famous 'ghost' pictures. Again neither to my knowledge has been proved to be fake.
The first was taken from the onboard the SS Watertown in 1924. It's supposed to show two dead crew members who had been overcome by fumes whilst cleaning out a boiler onboard the ship. They were supposedly seen by several members of the crew and the captain after the two were buried at sea and reported to have followed the ship for several days.

WATERTOWN.jpg

The second is purported to be the ghost of Freddy Jackson who was killed two days earlier and buried the day the photo was taken, several members of the squadron apparently immediately recognised Jackson's face.

FreddyJacksonghost.jpg

Associate
OP
I used to love watching Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious World. I've always been interested in the unexplainable and I think it was this programme that first sparked my interest. I'll have to check it out on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom