Next purchase dilemna... Help!

Associate
Ok here's the story: I have just upgraded most of the parts in my computer. I now have the following spec:
AMD64 3700 (San Diego), MSi Neo2 Platinum mobo, 512Mb (2x256mb matched pair) Corsair XMS 3200 (DDR400), Radeon 9800pro (with arctic cooler), 2x160Gb SATAII Maxtor Diamondmax 10 in RAID 0 configuration (running at SATA 1 speeds due to motherboard) and all this powered by a Enermax Liberty 400W PSU.
The gfx card and RAM are from my previous system which influenced me to buying an AGP motherboard (funds didn't permit to go the whole hog to pci express yet).
The system works great, but I have found that despite my new processor upgrade (old one was an AMD Athlon XP 2600+) and the RAID 0 SATA Harddrives, I still haven't got much of a performance increase in games.
I appreciate that the gfx card is a major player in this area but I thought that upgrading my processor would have made a more sizeable difference.

Anyway... Now that I can sell all my old pc parts, I am going to free up some funds to finish the upgrade. But I will probably only have enough to either upgrade the RAM (I'm thinking 2Gb of Corsair XMS) or I could upgrade the gfx card (something like a Geforce 7800GS AGP).
My only gripe with upgrading the gfx would be that I still won't have made the jump to pci express which in due course I may want to do.

Another option would be to get a pci express motherboard and an entry level pci express gfx card (funds permitting).

Which is going to give me the biggest performance boost for games like BF2? Should I just wait and get the whole shaa-bang when I can afford it? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Associate
BF2 needs at least 1 gig in my opinion just to run smooth enough to play so defo get RAM, game wise changing the graphics card rather than processor is always the better option as its the graphics card that does most of the work. get at least 1gig RAM and then a decent graphics card (doesnt have to be top of the range) get a 6800 or X850 or somethin along those lines as they are cheap, but very good cards and it frees up some money for RAM

Back
Top Bottom