Nexus 7 Removable Storage

Associate
I'm currently thinking about getting a tablet computer. I've practically discounted the ipad now, as a lot of the time I'd be wanting to use it out of a WiFi zone to watch TV shows etc which I've downloaded, and with just 16gb inbuilt storage, there's not a lot of flexibility on that front (I believe the ipad has no removable storage support, at all; there's a camera connection kit, but you have to import the contents of your removable storage before using it). The Nexus 7 on the other hand I'm not so sure about. It has a normal mini USB on it, so would I be able to get an adapter to normal USB, and, for example, plug in a memory stick loaded with TV shows and watch them from there? If so, I'm pretty much sold! I'm just having trouble finding this information.

Without this, being limited to 16gb memory on something I mainly want for travelling (love the touchscreen games for long plane journeys, much lighter than a laptop) is a huge downside. I know they're pushing for everything to be 'in the cloud', but with just WiFi, getting internet anywhere is an impossibility.

Associate
i cant see that working its just a mini usb charging port

but there is a accessory connection on the side which could be may be able to use some kind of external storage in the future i guess?
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125436/google-nexus-7-pictures#3507759

dont forget also that 2/3gb of that 16gb is used for the OS

ill be buying mine when its out shame ocuk aint stocking them tho

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's a bit annoying tbh. I know they're pushing the whole cloud thing, but I'd prefer to have a nice amount of media stored on an actual device, rather than relying on an internet connection.

I might get one anyway (most likely from a shop, as I think they're supposed to be out Friday, and I'm off on holiday the following Monday, so really want it for that) just because I've wanted to try a tablet for a while and I can see that the Nexus 7 is gonna be hugely popular and therefore be supported for a long time :) It's just annoying that I won't be able to do a few of the things I'd really like to do (store and watch TV shows for when not in a WiFi area, backup photos taken on camera).

Associate
Basically in the same boat, have pre-ordered my N7 at this point... but i'am second guessing that based on the lack of storage and only been able to connect via wi'fi , sure its fine for around the house but beyond that... Why these things don't come with atleast sim card support is beyond me, atleast that would open up some options.

Associate
it may be wise to hold off on the nexus 7 at this point then for you guys the rumors are that there will be a 10.1 size version with the3g support

for me at least i dont want a 3g version and the 16gb shoulld be more then enough

Associate
Erm

Smithy83, good guess but very wrong.

"its just a mini usb charging port" That usb port also connects to the computer to allow you to move data to the tablet, its already more than a charging port. its a usb port.

Then you have the whole usb OTG, which should be supported. Which will allow you to plug in usb sticks with a simple micro usb b, to usb socket cable.

Most modern phones will mount a usb stick, given the right cable and sometimes the correct rom.

Man of Honour
Root it, install stickmount from the play store, connect up your usb stick using your OTG USB cable, mount it using stickmount and you're away.

Associate
Rooting doesnt bother me, but at the same time OTG support may well get enabled by default.

If it isnt, it may also be added later.

The page you linked, while helpful doesnt really give any proof as theses devices are so new and for most not even out yet. I'll wait to see until i get mine to find out of OTG is enabled or not.

Associate
OP
I think I've kinda decided to get one... At £199 it's worth a punt. I need it to be guaranteed to get to me by Friday (as I'm away the following Monday) and most online stores are non specific about whether they actually HAVE stock to send, or are just waiting for it, so I think I'll try to get one instore on Friday itself. If I can't pick one up then, it'll be a bit disappointing, but I've always got my Samsung netbook to fall back on.

Associate
I understand that it is only possible to mount an external drive if you root the device first, apparently it is also possible to do USB-to-Ethernet (not sure how that works..?).

Got mine on pre-order but no sign of it arriving yet, seem to be shipping in the states.

I'm gonna chance a brief plug to an independent UK centric Nexus 7 fan site in the hope that it might be useful, apologies if that's bad form.

Associate
OP
Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but assume I can since OCUK don't sell them, but which places do you think I'll be most likely to be able to pick one up instore on Friday?

Back
Top Bottom