Nikon D40X with Lenses or Point & Click?

Soldato
Currently, we have a Nikon D40X with a couple of basic lenses including an AF70-300mm

We love taking wildlife photographs for fun on holiday and trips etc however we are disappointed in the range quality from the lenses we have.

To get better close ups of far-off subjects means quite an expensive lens upgrade.

Are there any point and click solutions that would do a good job or is an expensive lens the only option to get acceptable results, guys?

Soldato
there are always compromises with photography and high quality long range photography is one of the most desired types but also expensive and often needing big heavy lenses, and even with a very long reach it never seems enough.

as a compromise you could try a modern "Super Zoom" such as the Nikon P1000.

the quality improves a great deal with a tripod but still you can expect a loss of quality compared to the mega money pro photographers use

you can see reviews for actual results to see if it is ok for you, plus if the cost is in budget

Associate
Currently, we have a Nikon D40X with a couple of basic lenses including an AF70-300mm

We love taking wildlife photographs for fun on holiday and trips etc however we are disappointed in the range quality from the lenses we have.

To get better close ups of far-off subjects means quite an expensive lens upgrade.

Are there any point and click solutions that would do a good job or is an expensive lens the only option to get acceptable results, guys?
If you can define acceptable that would help.

As mentioned above photography is all about compromises whether that be weight / size, reach or costs... is the D40X a crop sensor 1.6x? so your 300mm lens should give you 480mm equivalence if my maths is correct so it's actually not a bad reach - depending on what you are photographing. You are wanting to do a very hard thing with photographing wildlife whilst on trips out - I started off wanting to talk wildlife pics whilst on walks with my daughter - it's far easier to plan shoots to get good images (spend time (hrs) sat still) - this is one thing I have learnt.

A friend has a Nikon P1000 which gives amazing reach, but holding it steady and getting good shots with it is another thing - he does ok with it though. Another friend who I meet regularly uses a Sony RX101V with 600mm reach this is a very nice camera, she got some really good shots on an outing we had last year of an Osprey, however we were out over the new year photographing Nuthatch and Treecreepers and ahe was struggling to get focus and shots off in the conditions (was grey and overcast in a woodland) and the images certainly lacked detail. Guess what I'm saying is if you are wanting to use the camera in all conditions then I'd go for a newer DSLR or M43 camera with an appropriate lens but it'll cost, if you are just going out in nice bright conditions a bridge camera may be your answer depending on image quality required.

Back
Top Bottom