Nintendo-style controller for the PC?

I come from a Nintendo and PC gaming background. Nintendo controllers have AB and XY buttons which date back over 30 years. Xbox controllers have them the other way round as BA and YX, and most PC controllers tend to follow suit. I guess it makes sense because Xbox and PC have Microsoft as the common denominator. Because of muscle memory, I would prefer the controller letters to be arranged the Nintendo way. Are there any manufacturers out there that do this? Or do PC/Nintendo gamers tend to use their e.g. Switch controllers via the PC's bluetooth? I already got a Switch Pro controller which is paired with my Switch and wondered if I should just get a 2nd one to pair with the PC or go 3rd party?

Soldato
I come from a Nintendo and PC gaming background. Nintendo controllers have AB and XY buttons which date back over 30 years. Xbox controllers have them the other way round as BA and YX, and most PC controllers tend to follow suit. I guess it makes sense because Xbox and PC have Microsoft as the common denominator. Because of muscle memory, I would prefer the controller letters to be arranged the Nintendo way. Are there any manufacturers out there that do this? Or do PC/Nintendo gamers tend to use their e.g. Switch controllers via the PC's bluetooth? I already got a Switch Pro controller which is paired with my Switch and wondered if I should just get a 2nd one to pair with the PC or go 3rd party?

What difference does it make when you can remap the buttons on every game? Muscle memory isn't affected.

Soldato
Please spec me what you have in mind, then I can work from there.
I don't understand what you want here.

The buttons are the exact same layout on 99% of controllers, the only real preference should be comfort. As mentioned you can map the buttons to whatever letter you like.

Adding to that, because the most popular layouts will not be the Nintendo way, you will more than likely have to change the settings in game anyway to 'Nintendo Layout' or 'Inverted' etc. So either way, you're mapping layouts.

But to answer your question you can use a Switch Pro controller by either buying a 8bitdo (or similar) bluetooth adapter / plug it in via usb.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would you buy an extra controller instead of just pairing the current one to your PC when using on pc?
As has been mentioned, you can just remap buttons on game, or via 3rd party software. So even using a play station controller, the only difference is the print on the physical buttons, which is not muscle memory.

However, the best controller imo that you can buy for reasonable money, is made by gulikit. Swappable face buttons between xbox/Nintendo layout, hall effect sticks and triggers, customisable sensitivity etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You should be able to pair your existing switch controller with your PC quite easily.

Try it out and see what you think. You can re-pair it back with the switch with a USB-C cable. I wouldn’t bother getting two unless you will be using both at the same time (I.e. two people).

You can remap buttons on most controllers on PC (as mentioned above).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom