Nintendo switch for kids Xmas?

Soldato
Hi guys, I need to let you guys know I know very little about consoles, the last one I have experience with is a playstation 2.

My son is 4 and a half and he likes playing Mario on our Nintendo Wii. Mrs is thinking about getting him a more up to date console mentioned a Nintendo Switch?

Is the OLED version worth it? Can you plug it into your TV to work as a "regular" console and play multiplayer? If so do you need to buy extra cables? And assuming then controllers?

Soldato
I can't speak for the OLED version as I had the standard before. It has a dock so can be played in the hand or on the tv, the joycons come off and you can use those as two mini controllers which are enough for the likes of Mario kart etc.

The one thing I would highlight is that I found that the games were incredibly expensive and hold their value, for the depth of games that my children would have played I really didn't think it good value so ultimately sold it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Aye big name games don't often get reduced

There's been some nice bits n pieces on the eStore reduced

As above the OLED version probably isn't worth the extra

For MP you can use the 2 joycons provided with the switch one for each player, if a little small.
Extra joycons are well worth the investment, keep an eye on amazon around the Black Friday type dates

The little steering wheels that the joycons clip into are deffo not worth buying

Last edited:
Soldato
I sold my first gen switch for £160. I had 9 games and they all sold for £26-37 each

Fantastic really. 5 years of switch fun cost about £150.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it worth getting an SD card?
is it a 64gb oled one or a 32gb standard one?

also do you plan on buying digital games or physical games?

I would say if it is an oled model and you plan to buy cartridge games then you will be ok for a while.
if it's a 32gb model and you want to buy digital titles you will need an SD card. (a few games won't even fit on 32gb will they?

your lad is quite young for a switch I would say but that said I introduced my lad to games at 4.... but we played classic games that I played as a kid on my raspberry pi 3.

he is 7 this December and he doesn't know yet be we have got him a switch and a few games

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
is it a 64gb oled one or a 32gb standard one?

also do you plan on buying digital games or physical games?

I would say if it is an oled model and you plan to buy cartridge games then you will be ok for a while.
if it's a 32gb model and you want to buy digital titles you will need an SD card. (a few games won't even fit on 32gb will they?
128gb actually. But thanks

Man of Honour
I know you might be set on a switch but consider a Wii U. Half the price, supports original wii controllers and games natively, has a fun controller gimmick, and you can get very, very, very cheap games.

Also, the kid is too young to care about the latest and greatest, meaning you can save a current gen console for later. It's what I plan on doing with mine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just bought a switch for myself because I am a big kid. One thing I noticed is just how expensive games are especially after having Turkish VPN gamepass and PC gaming!

My daughter is 15 and still plays on an old Xbox one. I am thinking to get her a Series S for christmas.

She grew up playing on an old Xbox 360, Nintendo Gamecube and Snes Classic. A child at 4 is not really going to be bothered at how new a console is. When my daughter started to get into games we were cross playing coop games on my Xbone and my old 360.

Maybe when I was a child the generation gap between games consoles was massive. Now it is not so much. There is a massive back catalogue of games and consoles that will play just as well today as back then.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well the switch was a hit.

I'm quite impressed also, not a bad little console had it on the docking stating using the little joycons like pads.

Was playing Mario Kart 8, then I bought the online + expansion thingy, that lets you play a ton of old SNES/N64 games, fired up F-Zero-X and had a go on that.

I forgot but I have a fast 64GB micro SD card in a go-pro I have no used for years, so put that in the switch.

Not bad considering the console cost me £140, ok I had to buy a UK charger, then the games and online expansion thing were extra.

Soldato
ours had one for his birthday (22nd Dec) and was also a big hit. mariokart 4 players yesterday was great fun and he loves playing among us with me on my steamdeck and him on the switch . you are right it is a very capable console.
loads of very good games for it..... but wowsers the Nintendo IP stuff holds its value.

Back
Top Bottom